Rancho San Jose

Ygnacio PalomaresRicardo VejarLuis ArenasPalomaresSan Jose
Rancho San Jose was a 22340 acre Mexican land grant in northeastern Los Angeles County given in 1837 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejar.wikipedia
57 Related Articles

La Verne, California

La VerneLa Verne, CALaVerne
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.
The history of the area dates back to the 1830s when Ygnacio Palomares received the 15000 acre Rancho San Jose land grant from Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado in 1837.

San Dimas, California

San DimasSan Dimas, CACity of San Dimas
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.
The area was originally developed in 1837 with the Mexican land grant from Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejar for the Rancho San Jose, then in Alta California.

Azusa, California

AzusaAzusa, CACitrus Union High School
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.
The first Mexican settlement in Azusa was at the Rancho el Susa in 1841, a Mexican land grant from the Alta California Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Luis Arenas.

Diamond Bar, California

Diamond BarDiamond Bar, CACity of Diamond Bar
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.
Linares died in 1847, and his widow sold a part of the ranch to Ricardo Vejar for $100 in merchandise, 100 calves, and the assumption of her late husband's debts.

Glendora, California

GlendoraGlendora, CA
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.
Ygnacio Palomares received the 22340 acre land grant Rancho San Jose from Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado in 1837.

Walnut, California

WalnutWalnut, CAWalnut, United States
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.
In the Walnut area, the first grants were Rancho San Jose (granted to Ricardo Vejar and Ygnacio Palomares in 1837); Rancho Los Nogales (granted to Jose De La Cruz Linares in 1840); and Rancho La Puente (granted to John Rowland and William Workman in 1842).

Rancho Azusa de Dalton

Rancho AzusaRancho El SusaAzusa de Dalton
In 1846, Arenas sold his one third share of Rancho San Jose to Henry Dalton of Rancho Azusa de Dalton.
Rancho Azusa de Dalton, (originally the Rancho El Susa), was a 4431 acre Mexican land grant in present-day Los Angeles County, California, given in 1841 by Governor Juan Alvarado to Luis Arenas.

La Casa Primera de Rancho San Jose

La Casa Primera
It is the oldest home located in the Pomona Valley and in the old Rancho San Jose land grant.

Ygnacio Palomares Adobe

Adobe de Palomares
The Ygancio Palomares Adobe, built between 1850 and 1855, was once the center of the sprawling 22000 acre Rancho San Jose.

La Casa Alvarado

The Casa Alvarado is located on a portion of the 22000 acre Rancho San Jose granted to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejas in 1837.

Louis Phillips (rancher)

Louis Phillips
In 1866, Schlesinger and Tischler sold the ranch to Louis Phillips.
In 1864, Schlesinger and Tischler acquired the Rancho San Jose in a foreclosure.

Rancho Pauba

Pauba
Arenas was a grantee of Rancho Pauba in 1844, and Rancho Los Huecos in 1846.
Rancho Pauba was a 26598 acre Mexican land grant in present-day Riverside County, California given in 1844 by Governor Manuel Micheltorena to Vicente Moraga and Luis Arenas.

Rancho Los Huecos

Los Huecos
Arenas was a grantee of Rancho Pauba in 1844, and Rancho Los Huecos in 1846.
Rancho Los Huecos was a 39951 acre Mexican land grant in present-day Santa Clara County, California, given in 1846 by Governor Pio Pico to Luis Arenas and John A. Rowland.

Rancho Potrero de Felipe Lugo

Potrero de Felipe Lugo
Vejar's sister, Magdalena Vejar, was married to Jorge Morrillo, grantee of Rancho Potrero de Felipe Lugo.
Magdalena Vejar's brother, Ricardo Vejar, was granted Rancho San Jose in 1837.

Phillips Mansion

The property on which the Phillips Mansion was built is part of the 22,000 acre Rancho San Jose land grant awarded in 1837 by Gov. Juan B. Alvarado to Ricardo Vejar and Ygnacio Palomares.

Rancho Los Nogales

Jose Ynes de la LuzLos Nogales
Vejar owned a one third share of Rancho San Jose and was also the owner of Rancho Los Nogales.
After Linares died, his widow, Maria de Jesus Bruno Garcia (1800 - ), sold a part of the ranch to Ricardo Vejar in 1847.

Rancho San Mateo

San Mateoranch
His son, Cayetano Arenas, was secretary to Governor Pio Pico and was the grantee of Rancho San Mateo.
Cayetano Arenas father was Luis Arenas.

List of pre-statehood mayors of Los Angeles

Mayor of Los Angelesalcalde of Los AngelesAlcalde
He was elected the last Mexican California mayor of Los Angeles in 1848, but held the position briefly due to Colonel Jonathan Stevenson considering him intolerable and anti-American.

Ranchos of California

Mexican land grantranchosrancho
Rancho San Jose was a 22340 acre Mexican land grant in northeastern Los Angeles County given in 1837 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejar.

Los Angeles County, California

Los Angeles CountyLos AngelesCounty of Los Angeles
Rancho San Jose was a 22340 acre Mexican land grant in northeastern Los Angeles County given in 1837 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejar.

Juan Bautista Alvarado

Juan AlvaradoJuan B. AlvaradoAlvarado
Rancho San Jose was a 22340 acre Mexican land grant in northeastern Los Angeles County given in 1837 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejar.

Covina, California

CovinaCovina, CARoyal Oak High School
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.

Claremont, California

ClaremontClaremont, CACalifornia, Claremont
Today, the communities of Pomona, LaVerne, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Azusa, Covina, Walnut, Glendora, and Claremont are located in whole or part on land that was once part of the Rancho San Jose.

Rancho Rodeo de las Aguas

Rodeo de las AguasRodeo de las Aguas ranch
Ygnacio Palomares and Ricardo Vejar, owned a considerable number of horses and cattle, which they kept at Rancho Rodeo de las Aguas owned by Maria Rita Valdez de Villa.