Redford Barracks

Edinburgh
Redford Cavalry and Infantry Barracks is located on Colinton Road, near the Edinburgh City Bypass, east of the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.wikipedia
66 Related Articles

Colinton

Colinton StationColinton, Midlothian
Redford Cavalry and Infantry Barracks is located on Colinton Road, near the Edinburgh City Bypass, east of the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Between 1909 and 1915, the War Office constructed Redford Barracks to the east of the village.

Harry Bell Measures

Redford Barracks was built between 1909 and 1915 by the War Office and designed by Harry Bell Measures.
He was later the Director of Barrack Construction for the British War Office and was responsible for buildings such as Redford Barracks in Edinburgh, and the new cordite incorporating houses at the Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills.

Edinburgh Castle

EdinburghCastleOne O'Clock Gun
The British Army garrison in Edinburgh Castle formally moved out to the barracks in 1923.
In 1905, responsibility for the castle was transferred from the War Office to the Office of Works, although the garrison remained until 1923, when the troops moved to Redford Barracks in south-west Edinburgh.

RAF Kirknewton

KirknewtonKirknewton Airfield
As part of the Future Force 2020 budgetary announcement in July 2011, RAF Kirknewton was to have been developed into a major Army base to host a Multi-Role Brigade Redford and Dreghorn Barracks would become surplus to requirements and were earmarked for disposal under this plan.
As part of the Future Force 2020 budgetary announcement in July 2011, Kirknewton was to have been developed into a major British Army base to host a Multi-Role Brigade and both Dreghorn Barracks and Redford Barracks were earmarked for disposal.

Dreghorn Barracks

DreghornEdinburghDreghorn Castle
As part of the Future Force 2020 budgetary announcement in July 2011, RAF Kirknewton was to have been developed into a major Army base to host a Multi-Role Brigade Redford and Dreghorn Barracks would become surplus to requirements and were earmarked for disposal under this plan.
* Redford Barracks, located close to Dreghorn Barracks, in Colinton

Royal Scots Greys

2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys)2nd DragoonsScots Greys
The three-storey Cavalry Barracks (55.9127°N, -3.2419°W), with its tall domed clock-tower, was originally built to house a cavalry regiment, most notably the Royal Scots Greys, with a large annexe of stables and associated outbuildings.

Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry

The Scottish and North Irish YeomanrySNIY Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry
The Regimental Headquarters of the Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry has also been located at the cavalry barracks since 2014.

Royal Regiment of Scotland

The Royal Regiment of Scotland3rd Battalion, The Black WatchGolden Highlanders
The Royal Regiment of Scotland

Edinburgh City Bypass

A720City BypassA720 city by-pass
Redford Cavalry and Infantry Barracks is located on Colinton Road, near the Edinburgh City Bypass, east of the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh, ScotlandCity of EdinburghCity of Edinburgh council area
Redford Cavalry and Infantry Barracks is located on Colinton Road, near the Edinburgh City Bypass, east of the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Scotland

Scottish🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Scots
Redford Cavalry and Infantry Barracks is located on Colinton Road, near the Edinburgh City Bypass, east of the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland.

War Office

War DepartmentBritish War OfficeOld War Office Building
Redford Barracks was built between 1909 and 1915 by the War Office and designed by Harry Bell Measures.

Fort George, Highland

Fort GeorgeInvernessFort George, Ardersier
When completed, the barracks was the largest military installation built in Scotland since Fort George in the Highlands.

Scottish Highlands

HighlandsHighlandHighlanders
When completed, the barracks was the largest military installation built in Scotland since Fort George in the Highlands.

British Army

ArmyBritishBritish troops
The British Army garrison in Edinburgh Castle formally moved out to the barracks in 1923.

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders)1st Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highland Regiment93rd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Today, the Infantry Barracks are unoccupied, and the Cavalry Barracks houses Balaclava Company, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders).

Listed building

Grade II listedlistedlisted buildings
The barracks comprises two category B listed main buildings and parade squares facing Colinton Road.

Regiment

regimentsregimentalregimental system
The Infantry Barracks (55.9103°N, -3.2457°W), was originally built to house an entire infantry regiment and could accommodate 1,000 men.

Line infantry

lineinfantry of the lineline regiment
It could provide everything the resident line infantry battalion required to function.

Battalion

battalionsinfantry battalionbattalion commander
It could provide everything the resident line infantry battalion required to function.

Company (military unit)

companycompaniesrifle companies
The main barrack block itself housed the resident Battalion Headquarters, one Rifle Company, a Fire Support Company and Headquarters Company.

The Rifles

2nd Battalion, The Rifles4th Battalion, The RiflesRifles
3rd Battalion The Rifles, the last battalion to occupy the barracks, moved out in 2014.

Stable

stableshorse stablestable block
The three-storey Cavalry Barracks (55.9127°N, -3.2419°W), with its tall domed clock-tower, was originally built to house a cavalry regiment, most notably the Royal Scots Greys, with a large annexe of stables and associated outbuildings.

Armoured regiment (United Kingdom)

armoured regimentarmoured regimentsArmour
With the permanent stationing of armoured units such as the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards in Germany as part of the British Army of the Rhine, the Cavalry Barracks became a home to D squadron, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards stationed there from 1971 until disbanded in 1976.

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys)Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys)The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
With the permanent stationing of armoured units such as the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards in Germany as part of the British Army of the Rhine, the Cavalry Barracks became a home to D squadron, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards stationed there from 1971 until disbanded in 1976.