A report on River Medway and Upnor

Arethusa Venture Centre, with figure-head, Lower Upnor.
Dusk at Lower Upnor on the Medway Estuary
The Older London Stone standing in front of the fence of the Arethusa Venture Centre.
Frindsbury Church above the former entrance to the Thames and Medway Canal
A Thames Barge sails past the depot: Upnor Castle (left), 'B' Magazine (centre), No. 5 Shell Store (right).
Lower Saxony arms coat of arms
RE assault boat training at Upper Upnor
The Medway flows through Tonbridge in many channels. The South Eastern Main Line crosses the Medway.
Former 'B' Magazine (1857) undergoing refurbishment.
The Botany stream forms another channel in Tonbridge.
Former Dry Guncotton Store (right, 1895)
Tonbridge Castle, a motte-and-bailey castle from 1066.
Left to right: former No 3 Shell Store (1883), Mine Testing Room (1905) and Wet Guncotton Store (1895)
The River Medway passes Tonbridge Castle and passes under Big Bridge.
Left to right: Main entrance, former Filled Mine Store (1904), former Filled Shell Store (1904)
Oak Weir Lock
River Bourne enters the Medway
Sluice Weir, on the right is the lock
The sluice at Yalding
Hampstead Lane Lock, Yalding
Bow Bridge, Wateringbury
Teston Lock
Upstream from Teston Bridge
Barges moored on the Medway at Aylesford
Medieval bridge at Aylesford
Grain and Thamesport, from Horrid Hill, Gillingham.
The Grain Tower at low tide.
The mouth of the Medway, looking from Grain to Sheerness.
And into the Thames, youngsters at Grain with Southend beyond.
M2 crossing the Medway.
Isle of Grain and the Medway Estuary from the air
Allington Lock and Sluice gates

They are in the parish of Frindsbury Extra on the western bank of the River Medway.

- Upnor

The illustrations include the castles at Queenborough, Upnor, Leybourne, Tonbridge and Hever; Penshurst Place; and the bridges at Teston, Maidstone, Aylesford, East Farleigh, Barming, Branbridges and Tonbridge.

- River Medway

2 related topics with Alpha



0 links

Unitary authority district and conurbation in Kent, South East England.

Unitary authority district and conurbation in Kent, South East England.

Dutch Attack on the Medway, June 1667 by Pieter Cornelisz van Soest, painted c. 1667. The captured ship is right of centre
The Chatham Naval Memorial commemorates the 18,500 officers, ranks and ratings of the Royal Navy who were lost or buried at sea in the two World Wars. It stands on the Great Lines between Chatham and Gillingham.
Chatham High Street, December 2007
Chatham Bus Interchange Station, October 2011
The Quays, Chatham Dockside, December 2009
A view of the Medway Gate development, June 2009.
A view of former The Black Lion Leisure Centre (Now Medway Park), April 2009.
The A2 crossing the Medway at Rochester on the site of the Roman crossings, the medieval crossing was to the south
Junction Two of the M2 is on the A228, just before the Medway motorway bridge. Alongside is High Speed 1. Both are seen climbing up the Nashenden Valley, towards Bluebell Hill.

Because of its strategic location by the major crossing of the River Medway, it has made a wide and significant contribution to Kent, and to England, dating back thousands of years, as evident in the siting of Watling Street by the Romans and by the Norman Rochester Castle, Rochester Cathedral (the second oldest in Britain) and the Chatham naval dockyard and its associated defences.

Frindsbury Extra including Upnor borders Strood.

Chatham Dockyard in 1790 (by Nicholas Pocock)

Chatham Dockyard

0 links

Chatham Dockyard in 1790 (by Nicholas Pocock)
The Dockyard as depicted by Robert Dodd in 1789
Engraving of "Chatham Dockyard from Fort Pitt" from Ireland's History of Kent, Vol. 4, 1831. Facing p. 349. Drawn by G. Sheppard, engraved by R. Roffe.
17th-century painting of naval vessels moored on the River Medway, viewed from Chatham with Rochester Bridge in the background.
Dutch Attack on the Medway, June 1667 by Pieter Cornelisz van Soest, painted c. 1667. The captured ship is right of centre.
1884 map, showing the 'Royal Dock Yard' (centre) with the river to the west, new extension to the north, barracks and fortifications to the east.
Armour plating being fitted to HMS Royal Oak at Chatham, c. 1862.
HMS Empress of India in No 8 Dock, with No 1 Boiler Shop in the background, c. 1897.
Plate-bending roller, installed in No 5 Machine Shop in 1913 and now preserved at the Historic Dockyard.
The Dockyard extension viewed from Upnor, c.1910.
Navy Day at HMNB Chatham, c.1977
Rennie's No 3 Dock of 1816–21; today it contains HMS Ocelot, the last Royal Navy vessel built at Chatham.
at Chatham Historic Dockyard
The topsail schooner Julia visiting the middle basin in 2006; behind her is the St Mary's Island housing estate
Police Section House, one of the Dockyard's many listed buildings
The Commissioner's House (1704), was built for Captain George St Lo, who found the previous house unsuitable. It remains the oldest surviving naval building in England.
The Ordnance Storekeeper's house at the heart of the former Gun Wharf
The Gun Wharf, c.1890: the 1717 Grand Store can be seen left of centre (with the Dockyard's Anchor Wharf storehouse in the distance beyond). The surviving carpenters' shop and machine shop are on the right.
The Library (former machine shop)
Surviving 1757 block from the original Infantry Barracks
Kitchener Barracks (1950s extension, demolished in 2017).
The Royal Marine Barracks in the Second World War.
Royal School of Military Engineering (1872) and Boer War Memorial Arch (1902) at Brompton Barracks.
The Garrison Church of St Barbara in Maxwell Road continues to serve Brompton Barracks.
HMS Pembroke: former officers' quarters
The Clocktower Building
Sail and Colour Loft
Masthouses and Mould Loft
Timber Seasoning sheds
Wheelwrights' shop
Joiners' Shop
Brunel Sawmill
Lower Boat House and North Mast Pond
No 3 Covered Slip
No 3 Covered Slip (interior)
Nos 4-6 Covered Slips
No 6 Covered Slip (interior)
No 7 Covered Slip
No 7 Covered Slip (interior)
Slip covers viewed from the river
No 2 Dry Dock
No 3 Dry Dock
No 4 Dry Dock
South Dock pumping station
Commissioner's House
The Commissioner's House (garden view)
The entrance to the Ice House
The Edwardian conservatory
Officers' Terrace
The Officers' Stables
The Main Gate from outside
The Main Gate from inside
The bell mast
The Guardhouse
The Cashier's Office
Assistant Queen's Harbourmaster's Office
Dockyard Church
Dockyard Church (interior)
The Admiral's Office
The Captain of the Dockyard's House and flagstaff
Anchor Wharf Store Houses
Hemp Houses and Hatchelling House
Hemp Houses and Double Ropewalk
Double Ropewalk and Black Yarn House to right
Laying the Rope
Looking at the Traveller
The Traveller
No 1 Smithery
Lead and Paint Mill
Iron Foundry (left)
No 1 Machine Shop
Galvanising Shop
Chain Cable Shed
Expanse of water in No 2 Basin
View down the length of the former No 7 Dock towards No 1 Basin (now Chatham Marina)
Remains of No 8 Machine Shop with No 1 Boiler Shop behind it
Dock pumping station (its 80 ft chimney, formerly on the plinth to the right, has been removed)
Bell Mast on Leviathan Way
Combined Ship Trade Office
Former No 1 Boiler Shop (with clock)
Former No 1 Boiler Shop (interior)
Former central offices

Chatham Dockyard was a Royal Navy Dockyard located on the River Medway in Kent.

The oldest surviving barracks in the Chatham area is in Upnor; dating from 1718, it housed the detachment of 64 men responsible for guarding the gunpowder store in Upnor Castle.