Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Wrocław

Cathedral of St. John in Wrocław, centre of the archdiocese
Przecław of Pogarell, 20th Bishop of Wrocław
Peter Nowak, 23rd Bishop of Wrocław
Jošt of Rožmberk, 24th Bishop of Wrocław
Johann IV. Roth, 26th Bishop of Wrocław
Friedrich of Hesse-Darmstadt, 41st Bishop of Wrocław
Prince-Bishop Philipp Gotthard von Schaffgotsch, 45th bishop on the see.
Prince-Bishop Joseph Knauer, 49th bishop of the see
Cardinal Adolf Bertram, elevated to first Archbishop of Breslau in 1930.
Bolesław Kominek, 2nd Archbishop (first postwar) of Wrocław

Latin Church ecclesiastical territory or archdiocese of the Catholic Church centered in the city of Wrocław in Poland.

- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Wrocław

279 related topics

Relevance

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gniezno

Oldest Latin Catholic archdiocese in Poland, located in the city of Gniezno.

Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption in Gniezno
Relics of St Adalbert, Gniezno Cathedral

Led by Adalbert's half-brother Radim Gaudentius, the ecclesiastical province then comprised the suffragan dioceses in Kraków, Wrocław, and Kołobrzeg (extinct in 1015), and from about 1075 also Poznań.

Wrocław

City in southwestern Poland and the largest city in the historical region of Silesia.

Coat of arms of Wrocław (with the inscription Civitas Wratislaviensis) in Lauf Castle, c. 1360.
The oldest printed text in the Polish language–Statuta Synodalia Episcoporum Wratislaviensis, printed in Wrocław by Kasper Elyan, 1475
St Martin's Church, the only remaining part of the medieval Piast stronghold that once stood in Wrocław
Map of the city from 1562, with its fortifications on the Oder River
Battle of Breslau during the Seven Years' War (Third Silesian War 1756–1763)
Entry of Prince Jérôme Bonaparte into Breslau, 7 January 1807
The Royal Palace from 1717 was once the residence of Prussian monarchs. Today, the building houses the City Museum.
Old Town Hall, 1900
Market Square, 1890–1900
Feniks Department Store, built in 1902–1904
Aerial view of pre-war Breslau, 1920
Wartime destruction around the cathedral, 1945
Wrocław dwarf
Fighting Solidarity logo
John of Nepomuk Church in Szczytnicki Park, 16th-century
Wrocław South Park – Park Południowy
Map of Wrocław's areas where PM10 standards were exceeded in 2015
Wrocław New City Hall – the seat of the city mayor
Wrocław boroughs (until 1990)
The 48 administrative district quarters (since 1990)
Sky Tower is one of the tallest buildings in Poland. It offers office, commercial, residential and recreational space.
Wrocław Market Hall
Wroclavia Shopping Mall with a central bus station located underground
Map of Wrocław illustrating the A8 bypass and surrounding arterial roads
Wrocław Copernicus Airport in Strachowice
Koleje Dolnośląskie train at Wrocław Main Station
Moderus Gamma LF07AC tram
Wrocław City Bike
Wrocław Cathedral in the oldest district of Ostrów Tumski
White Stork Synagogue, initially opened in 1829
University of Wrocław
Wrocław University of Technology – Faculty of Architecture
Wrocław Multimedia Fountain
Świdnica Cellar (Piwnica Świdnicka), one of the oldest restaurant establishments in Europe.
Interior of the National Museum
National Forum of Music
Stadion Wrocław – Euro 2012 Stadium
Olympic Stadium

The oldest surviving document containing the recorded name of the city is the chronicle of Thietmar of Merseburg from the early 11th century, which records the city's name as "Wrotizlava", and cites it as a seat of a new bishopric at the Congress of Gniezno.

Prince-bishop

Bishop who is also the civil ruler of some secular principality and sovereignty.

Johann Otto von Gemmingen, Prince-Bishop of Augsburg (1591–1598)
Arms of a Prince-Bishop with components from both princely and ecclesiastical heraldry.
Ecclesiastical lands in the Holy Roman Empire, 1780
Order's State in 1466: Livonian episcopal territories in violet, Prince-Bishopric of Warmia in cyan

However, in some countries outside of French control, such as in the Austrian Empire (Salzburg, Seckau) including the Lands of the Bohemian Crown (bulk of Olomouc, and parts of Breslau), as well as in the Kingdom of Prussia (bulk of Breslau and parts of Olomouc), the institution nominally continued, and was in some cases transformed into a new, titular type, initially recognized by the German Empire and Austria-Hungary until their demise, the title ultimately abolished altogether by the pope im 1951.

Nysa, Poland

Town in southwestern Poland on the Eastern Neisse (Polish: Nysa Kłodzka) river, situated in the Opole Voivodeship.

Basilica of St. James and St. Agnes
Nysa in a 1493 woodcut from Nuremberg Chronicle
19th-century view of the market square
Architectural contrasts in the Old Town after reconstruction
Nysa city budget income sources as of 2015
Historical tenements
Old town
Carolinum (high school)
Church of the Assumption

As a result of the fragmentation of Poland, it became part of the Duchy of Silesia and from the 14th century it was the capital of the Duchy of Nysa, administered by the Bishopric of Wrocław.

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Prague

Metropolitan Catholic archdiocese of the Latin Rite in Bohemia, in the Czech Republic.

An aerial view of St. Vitus Cathedral

It lost territories in 1000 to establish the Diocese of Wrocław (Breslau, in Silesia, now Poland) and in 1063 to establish the then Diocese of Olomouc (Olmütz, in Moravia, now also Metropolitan)

Oder

River in Central Europe.

Oder in Wrocław, overlooking Ostrów Tumski - Cathedral Island
The Oder dividing Poland and Germany seen from the Polish side near Kostrzyn nad Odrą
Estuary of the Lusatian Neisse into the Oder
The Oder in Szczecin, Poland, flows along the banks of the Old Town and the Ducal Castle
Łarpia, a left distributary of the Oder in Police, Poland

Wrocław and Lubusz became seats of some of the oldest Catholic bishoprics of Poland, founded in 1000 (Wrocław) and 1125 (Lubusz).

Silesia

Historical region of Central Europe that lies mostly within Poland, with small parts in Czechia and Germany.

Silesia in the early period of Poland's fragmentation, 1172–1177, Lower Silesia with Lubusz Land in orange, Upper Silesia in green and yellow
Battle of Legnica (1241) during the First Mongol invasion of Poland
Lands of the Bohemian Crown between 1635 and 1742, before most of Silesia was ceded to Prussia
Typical Silesian baroque architecture in Wrocław
First map of Silesia by Martin Helwig, 1561; north at the bottom
Bolesław Śmiały Coal Mine, Łaziska Górne
Polish names of Silesian cities, from a 1750 Prussian official document published in Berlin during the Silesian Wars
Confessions in the German Empire (Protestant/Catholic; c. 1890). Lower Silesia was mostly Protestant, while Glatz (Kłodzko) and Upper Silesia were mostly Catholic.
Coat of arms of the Prussian province of Upper Silesia (1919–1938 and 1941–1945)
Coat of arms of the Silesian Voivodeship
The coat of arms of the Opolskie Voivodeship
Henryk IV's Probus coat of arms
Coat of arms of Austrian Silesia (1742–1918)
Prussian province of Lower Silesia (1919–1938 and 1941–1945)
Coat of arms of the Lower Silesia Voivodeship
Coat of arms of Czech Silesia
Flag of Prussian Upper Silesia province (1919–1938 and 1941–1945)
Flag of Silesia Voivodeship
Flag of the Austrian Silesia (1742–1918), and Czech Silesia
Flag of Prussian Lower Silesia province (1919–1938 and 1941–1945)
Flag of Lower Silesia Voivodeship
Churches of Peace, Świdnica and Jawor
Centennial Hall, Wrocław
Historic Silver Mine, Tarnowskie Góry
Muskau Park, Łęknica and Bad Muskau<ref>Łęknica and Bad Muskau were considered part of Silesia in years 1815–1945.</ref>

In 1000, the Diocese of Wrocław was established as the oldest Catholic diocese in the region, and one of the oldest dioceses in Poland, subjugated to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gniezno.

Bolesław I the Brave

Duke of Poland from 992 to 1025, and the first King of Poland in 1025.

Poland and parts of Pomerania temporarily conquered at the beginning of Bolesław's reign
Bolesław I the Brave buys the corpse of Saint Adalbert of Prague from the Prussians, Gniezno Doors c. 1170
Bolesław's replica of the Holy Lance, Wawel Hill, Cracow
Poland during the reign of Bolesław the Brave
Bolesław's denarius with the inscription Princes Polonie.
King Henry in a sacramentary c. 1002–1014
Bolesław at Kiev, in a legendary moment of hitting the Golden Gate with the Szczerbiec sword. Painting by Jan Matejko.
Coronation of the First King, as imagined by Jan Matejko
10-złotych coin with Bolesław Chrobry (1925)
Monument to Bolesław the Brave in Gniezno, created by Marcin Rożek in 1925. Destroyed in 1939 and reconstructed in 1985 by Jerzy Sobociński.

At the same time, three suffragan bishoprics, subordinated to the see of Gniezno—the dioceses of Kołobrzeg, Kraków and Wrocław—were set up.

Archbishopric of Magdeburg

Roman Catholic archdiocese and Prince-Archbishopric (1180–1680) of the Holy Roman Empire centered on the city of Magdeburg on the Elbe River.

Prince-Bishoprics of Hildesheim, Halberstadt and Magdeburg (violet), about 1250
Cathedral of Magdeburg
Prince-Bishoprics of Hildesheim, Halberstadt and Magdeburg (violet), about 1250
Political territory of the Prince-Archbishopric (lacking Jüterbog exclave) by 1648, over present-day Saxony-Anhalt
Ecclesiastical Province of Magdeburg (in green) amidst other provinces in Central Europe.
Giebichenstein Castle in Halle (Saale)
Moritzburg in Halle
The New Residence in Halle
Calbe Castle (secondary residence)
The Archbishop's Palace in Magdeburg

Leopold William of Austria, a layman, Catholic administrator, 1631–1638; also administrator of the prince-bishoprics of Passau (1625–1662), of Strasbourg (1626–1662), of Halberstadt (1628–1648), of Olmütz (1632–1662) and of Breslau (1656–1662) and de jure of the prince-archbishopric of Bremen (1635–1645)

Otmuchów

Town in Nysa County, Opole Voivodeship, Poland, with 6,581 inhabitants (2019).

Medieval Otmuchów Castle
Otmuchów coat of arms at the medieval castle
Church. St. Nicholas and St. Francis
Municipal Office
Otmuchów Castle
Market Square
Panorama
Post Office
Nyska Wieża Wróbla (Defensive tower, part of the city walls)
Baroque St. Mary column

It was a property of the Diocese of Wrocław and a result of the fragmentation of Poland, it formed part of the Duchy of Nysa.