Roman Catholic Diocese of Chełmno
Roman Catholic diocese in Chełmno Land, founded in 1243 and disbanded in 1992.- Roman Catholic Diocese of Chełmno
75 related topics
Semi-independent ecclesiastical state, ruled by the incumbent ordinary of the Warmia see and comprising one third of the then diocesan area.
Thus the Golden Bull of Emperor Charles IV names the bishops as prince-bishops, a rank not awarded to the other three Prussian bishops (Culm (Chełmno), Pomesania, and Samland).
William of Modena (c.
Bishopric of Culm Culm,
Oldest Latin Catholic archdiocese in Poland, located in the city of Gniezno.
Diocese of Chełmno, 1821–1992, de facto already joining Gniezno councils since 1566, replaced by the Diocese of Pelplin, suffragan of Gdańsk (see below)
Medieval crusader state, located in Central Europe along the southeastern shore of the Baltic Sea.
In 1243, the Papal legate William of Modena divided Prussia into four bishoprics: Culm (Chełmno), Pomesania, Ermland (Warmia) and Samland (Sambia).
Town in north-central Poland, in the Toruń County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.
However, in time the knights took over the possession of Christian's diocese, dividing the area into four dioceses in 1243, including the Roman Catholic Diocese of Chełmno.
Town in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland.
Within the monastic state of the Teutonic Knights, the Bishopric of Culm was created in 1243 by William of Modena.
Town in northern Poland, in the Tczew County, Pomeranian Voivodship.
After the monastic buildings had been modified, they were utilized since 1824 as the seat of the Bishopric of Chełmno (Culm), which was moved to Pelplin.
Semi-autonomous city-state that existed between 1920 and 1939, consisting of the Baltic Sea port of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland) and nearly 200 towns and villages in the surrounding areas.
The 36 Catholic parishes in the territory of the Free City in 1922 used to belong in equal shares to the Diocese of Culm, which was mostly Polish, and the Diocese of Ermland, which was mostly German.
Archdiocese located in the city of Gdańsk in Poland.
The Catholic congregation west of the Vistula belonged to the Diocese of Chełmno, which was restored to Poland and east of the Vistula to the Diocese of Warmia, which remained part of Weimar Germany in the interbellum.
Metropolitan archdiocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland.
Warmia's first bishops were appointed by Polish and Teutonic Knights' officials and were mostly Germans, however, unlike the other Prussian bishoprics (Culm (Chełmno), Pomesania, and Samland (Sambia)), Warmia's diocesan chapter, established in 1260, maintained independence.