Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich

Royal Artillery BarracksWoolwichWoolwich BarracksThe Royal Artillery BarracksArtillery BarracksConnaught BarracksGrand DepotRoyal Artillery HQRoyal Artillery's regimental headquartersWoolwich Garrison
The Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, was the home of the Royal Artillery from 1776 until 2007.wikipedia
195 Related Articles

Royal Borough of Greenwich

GreenwichLondon Borough of GreenwichGreenwich Council
The Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, was the home of the Royal Artillery from 1776 until 2007.
Greenwich was one of six host boroughs for the 2012 London Olympics and events were held at the Royal Artillery Barracks (shooting), Greenwich Park (equestrianism) and The O 2 – the former Millennium Dome (gymnastics and basketball).

Royal Artillery

Royal Regiment of ArtilleryRAartillery
The Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, was the home of the Royal Artillery from 1776 until 2007.
Originally based in the Royal Arsenal, beginning in 1770 the regiment was rehoused in the Royal Artillery Barracks on Woolwich Common.

Woolwich

Woolwich, EnglandWoolwich, LondonNorth Woolwich
The Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, was the home of the Royal Artillery from 1776 until 2007.
To this day, the town retains an army base at the Royal Artillery Barracks and Napier Lines Barracks.

Woolwich Common

The Barracks were built between 1776 and 1802 on a site overlooking Woolwich Common to accommodate the nascent Royal Artillery, which was fast outgrowing its barracks in the Warren.
On the north side, Ha-ha Road separates the military section around the Royal Artillery Barracks from the public section.

Barrack Field

To the south, Barrack Field is a cricket ground which has been in use since the mid 18th century.
Barrack Field is located on the grounds of the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, southeast London (formerly part of Kent).

1983 Royal Artillery Barracks bombing

bombed in 1983Bombingbombing that injured five soldiers
In 1983 the barracks itself was targeted, again by the IRA, in a bombing that injured five soldiers.
On 10 December 1983 a bomb exploded at the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, South East London.

Royal Arsenal

Woolwich ArsenalWoolwichRoyal Laboratory
The Barracks were built between 1776 and 1802 on a site overlooking Woolwich Common to accommodate the nascent Royal Artillery, which was fast outgrowing its barracks in the Warren.
By the 1770s the number of artillerymen accommodated in the Warren had increased to 900, prompting the construction of a new Royal Artillery Barracks on Woolwich Common, where they moved in 1777 (whereupon their old barracks were converted into terraces of houses for officers).

James Wyatt

WyattWyatts
The architect James Wyatt then married the two halves together with a centerpiece triumphal arch.

Murder of Lee Rigby

Lee RigbyMichael Adebolajo2013 Woolwich attack
In May 2013 drummer Lee Rigby was murdered by Islamists just outside the Barracks in a terrorist attack.
On the afternoon of 22 May 2013, a British Army soldier, Fusilier Lee Rigby of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was attacked and killed by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale near the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, southeast London.

Larkhill

Larkhill CampRoberts BarracksLark Hill
Suggestions of a move came to nothing until a Defence Estates Review in 2003 proposed a move to Larkhill on Salisbury Plain (where the Royal School of Artillery has been based since 1915).
The regimental chapel at the Woolwich Barracks closed around the same time, and two stained glass windows were moved to the Larkhill church where they are displayed in lightboxes.

Shooting at the 2012 Summer Olympics

Shooting20122012 Summer Olympics
The shooting events at the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics were held at a temporary venue at the Barracks.
Shooting competitions at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London took place from 28 July to 6 August at the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich.

16th Regiment Royal Artillery

16 Regiment Royal Artillery16th Air Defence Regiment16th Regiment RA
After very nearly 300 years in Woolwich, the last Artillery regiment (the 16th) left the barracks in July 2007.
Its departure from the Royal Artillery Barracks, where the Royal Regiment of Artillery had been based since 1716, was marked with a ceremony on 25 July 2007.

Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere

Stapleton CottonLord CombermereSir Stapleton Cotton
For many years the 17.75-ton Bhurtpore gun, captured by Lord Combermere after the 1826 siege of Bhurtpore, stood outside the barracks.
On his return to England, he brought with him the 17.75-ton Bhurtpore gun, which for many years stood outside the Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich.

Royal Military Academy, Woolwich

Royal Military AcademyRoyal Military Academy WoolwichRoyal Military Academy at Woolwich
The Royal Military Academy which trained artillery officers and engineers from 1741 to 1939 also began in the Arsenal before moving (like the Artillery barracks) onto Woolwich Common in 1806.
At first costs precluded this possibility, but (with the Academy continuing to grow) James Wyatt, the Board of Ordnance Architect, was commissioned to design a new complex of buildings to stand, on a site facing the Royal Artillery Barracks, at the southern edge of Woolwich Common; it was built between 1796 and 1805 and opened for use the following year.

Foot guards

Guardsguardsmanfoot guard
The place of the Artillery was taken by the public duties line infantry battalion and incremental companies of the Foot Guards (who moved in from Chelsea Barracks and Cavalry Barracks).
However, as of 2010, the independent incremental companies of the Grenadier and Coldstream Guards (all on permanent public duties) have been moved from Chelsea Barracks to the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich.

2012 Summer Olympics

20122012 London Olympics2012 Olympic Games
The shooting events at the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics were held at a temporary venue at the Barracks.
"The majority of temporary facilities created for the Olympic Games including the Aquatic centre temporary stands, basketball arena, Water Polo Arena, and the shooting facilities at the Royal Artillery Barracks, are essentially big tents. Basically PVC stretched over lightweight steel frame. This design solution makes them efficient to install, reduces the need for any significant foundations and are, of course, reusable. We were challenged by the public around the use of PVC; but we considered it to be the right material for certain functions. We therefore challenged the PVC supply chain to have certain environmental performance criteria in place, including a take back and recycle scheme" says Kirsten Henson, Materials Manager for the London 2012 Olympic Park.

Chelsea Barracks

Chelsea
The place of the Artillery was taken by the public duties line infantry battalion and incremental companies of the Foot Guards (who moved in from Chelsea Barracks and Cavalry Barracks).
The site was vacated in 2008 with the troops transferred to the Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich.

Royal Army Ordnance Corps

RAOCArmy Ordnance CorpsArmy Ordnance Department
Known as the Grand Depot, it was built as headquarters for the Ordnance Field Train (a precursor to the Royal Army Ordnance Corps) which was disbanded in 1855.
In peacetime, the civilians and sergeants returned to their former duties, but the cadre of officers was retained; they were based initially in the Royal Arsenal, and then in the Grand Depot (just off Woolwich Common) where the guns were stored ready for deployment.

St John's Wood Barracks

St John's Wood
Then in 2012, an artillery link was regained when the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery moved from the St John's Wood Barracks to new quarters and stables on the Woolwich site, bringing with them a complement of 120 or thereabouts horses, historic gun carriages and artillery pieces used in their displays.
In 1880 the Royal Horse Artillery moved in and continuously occupied the barracks until February 2012 when (the lease on the property having expired) the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery relocated to the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich.

St George's Garrison Church, Woolwich

St George's Garrison ChurchGarrison Church of St George
St George's Garrison Church was built on the eastern edge of the Common in 1863 (replacing a chapel within the barracks, which was converted to serve as a theatre).
The church was built on a triangular plot between Grand Depot Road (part of the A205 or South Circular Road) and Woolwich New Road, its entrance facing the parade ground of the Royal Artillery Barracks on Grand Depot Road.

Royal Artillery Museum

Rooms in the Arsenal freed by the Academy's move were used to house the Royal Artillery Museum, which itself moved to the Common in 1820, where it was housed in the newly-rebuilt Rotunda.
Training initially took place on land to the east of the Warren and later moved to the woods to the west of Woolwich Common, close to the new Artillery Barracks, which are known still as 'Repository Grounds'.

Bisley, Surrey

BisleyBisley CampBisley Ranges
The original plan to conduct the shooting at the National Shooting Centre at Bisley, Surrey, was changed after the International Olympic Committee expressed reservations about the number of sports proposed to be staged outside London.
During the 2012 Olympic Games the shooting was held at the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich.

Firepower – The Royal Artillery Museum

Firepower - The Royal Artillery MuseumRoyal Artillery MuseumFirepower
(In 2001 the museum returned to the Arsenal site and was renamed Firepower; but in 2016 it closed, pending relocation to Larkhill.)
It is planned that the Royal Artillery Museum collection will be displayed as part of a Salisbury Plain Heritage Centre in Wiltshire in 2020 (the Royal Artillery's regimental headquarters having itself moved in 2008 from Woolwich to Larkhill Camp, on the Plain).

Kings Arms, Woolwich

Kings ArmsWoolwichWoolwich bombing
On the northwest corner of Frances Street and Hillreach, opposite the barracks security gate, is the Kings Arms pub, targeted by the IRA in November 1974 in a bombing which killed Royal Artillery Gunner Richard Dunne and another man, and injured 35 others.
Standing at 1 Frances Street to the south of Woolwich Dockyard and the Royal Marine Barracks, and northwest of the Royal Artillery Barracks, it was built in the 19th century.

King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery

King's Troop Royal Horse ArtilleryThe King's Troop, Royal Horse ArtilleryKing's Troop
Then in 2012, an artillery link was regained when the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery moved from the St John's Wood Barracks to new quarters and stables on the Woolwich site, bringing with them a complement of 120 or thereabouts horses, historic gun carriages and artillery pieces used in their displays.
The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery is a ceremonial unit of the British Army, quartered at Woolwich.