St Leonards Park

St. Leonards ReserveThe Reserve
St Leonards Park is a heritage-listed bowling club, recreational park, rugby field and cricket oval at 283a Miller Street, North Sydney, North Sydney Council, New South Wales, Australia.wikipedia
46 Related Articles

North Sydney, New South Wales

North Sydney1 Denison Street, North Sydneynorth shore
St Leonards Park is a heritage-listed bowling club, recreational park, rugby field and cricket oval at 283a Miller Street, North Sydney, North Sydney Council, New South Wales, Australia.

North Sydney Council

North SydneyBorough of North SydneyNorth Sydney Municipal Council
St Leonards Park is a heritage-listed bowling club, recreational park, rugby field and cricket oval at 283a Miller Street, North Sydney, North Sydney Council, New South Wales, Australia.

North Sydney Sewer Vent

The North Sydney Sewer Vent was constructed by the Metropolitan Board of Water Supply and Sewerage between 1891 and 1899.
The stack was originally wholly within St Leonards Park, however as this was reclaimed by the Highway, the vent now stands on an island separate to the Park.

Cricket field

cricket groundcricket groundsfield
St Leonards Park is a heritage-listed bowling club, recreational park, rugby field and cricket oval at 283a Miller Street, North Sydney, North Sydney Council, New South Wales, Australia.

New South Wales

NSWNew South Wales, AustraliaColony of New South Wales
St Leonards Park is a heritage-listed bowling club, recreational park, rugby field and cricket oval at 283a Miller Street, North Sydney, North Sydney Council, New South Wales, Australia.

New South Wales State Heritage Register

NSW State Heritage RegisterNew South Wales Heritage RegisterHeritage Council of New South Wales
It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 31 July 2015.

William Tunks

Tunks
William Tunks, the first mayor of the newly created township of St Leonards, made it his first duty to have the public reserve dedicated as a public park in 1867 as a centrepiece for the new municipality.

Duncan Thompson

Duncan Fulton Thompson
This was further replaced in 1929 with the current Duncan Thompson Stand on the north western side of the oval.

Parliament of New South Wales

New South Wales ParliamentParliamentNSW Parliament
An Act of Parliament of New South Wales in 1879 gave the land its name St Leonards Park.

Charles Moore (botanist)

Charles MooreC.MooreMoore
The design was influenced by the English Public Parks Movement and Charles Moore, the Director of the Botanical Gardens, Sydney, as he promoted the use of Moreton Bay and Port Jackson figs in many parks across Sydney.

Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney

Royal Botanic Gardens, SydneyRoyal Botanic GardensRoyal Botanic Garden
The design was influenced by the English Public Parks Movement and Charles Moore, the Director of the Botanical Gardens, Sydney, as he promoted the use of Moreton Bay and Port Jackson figs in many parks across Sydney.

Carrara marble

Apuan marbleCarraraCararra
His memory is however, perpetuated on a Carrara marble fountain erected in his honour in 1885 with funds raised by the public.

Government of New South Wales

New South Wales GovernmentNSW GovernmentGovernment
The by-laws and the Local Government of New South Wales and Crown Lands Acts however, did not allow Council to lease parkland, only allowing Council to enter into renewable occupancy agreements.

Milsons Point, New South Wales

Milsons PointMilson's PointMilsons Point, NSW
By 1886, the park was connected to the ferry terminal at Milsons Point by the tramway.

Queen Victoria

VictoriaVictoria of the United KingdomDiamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria
The Jubilee Fountain was erected in 1897 to the north-east of the existing bowling club, in honour of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

Stanton Library

This fountain, however, was subsequently re-located to Civic Park between Stanton Library and the North Sydney Council Chambers in 1982.

Sydney Water

Maritime Services BoardMetropolitan Board of Water Supply and SewerageMetropolitan Water, Sewerage and Drainage Board
The North Sydney Sewer Vent was constructed by the Metropolitan Board of Water Supply and Sewerage between 1891 and 1899.

Mosman, New South Wales

MosmanMosman, SydneyMiddle Harbour Public School
Originally designed to vent the reticulation system that took waste water from North Sydney and Mosman, it was located within St Leonards Park until it was separated by the construction of the Warringah Expressway.

Warringah Freeway

Warringah ExpresswayExits and Interchanges
Originally designed to vent the reticulation system that took waste water from North Sydney and Mosman, it was located within St Leonards Park until it was separated by the construction of the Warringah Expressway.

Cenotaph

cenotaphsThe Cenotaphcentotaph
The foundation stone was laid in 1924 for an Art Deco style 13 m cenotaph made of Bowral trachyte and was unveiled in 1926.

Bowral

Bowral, New South WalesBowral, AustraliaBowral Art Gallery
The foundation stone was laid in 1924 for an Art Deco style 13 m cenotaph made of Bowral trachyte and was unveiled in 1926.

Trachyte

trachytictrachytesorthophyre
The foundation stone was laid in 1924 for an Art Deco style 13 m cenotaph made of Bowral trachyte and was unveiled in 1926.

Port Jackson

Sydney HarbourSydneyharbour
The design was influenced by the English Public Parks Movement and Charles Moore, the Director of the Botanical Gardens, Sydney, as he promoted the use of Moreton Bay and Port Jackson figs in many parks across Sydney.

World War I

First World WarGreat WarWorld War One
In 1921, the World War I German Field Gun allotted by the State War Trophy Committee was mounted on a pedestal in the north-west corner of St Leonards Park and unveiled by Major-General Sir Granville Ryrie.