St Mary-le-More, Wallingford

St MarySt Mary's ChurchSt Mary-le-More
St Mary-le-More is a Church of England parish church in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England.wikipedia
32 Related Articles

Wallingford, Oxfordshire

WallingfordWallingford, BerkshireBorough of Wallingford
St Mary-le-More is a Church of England parish church in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England.
Although it was a small town, Wallingford once had 14 churches; now, there are three ancient churches within the Parish of St Mary-le-More and St Leonard, a modern Roman Catholic church, a Quaker Meeting House dating from 1724 and Baptist, Methodist and community churches.

Whitechapel Bell Foundry

Mears and StainbankMears & StainbankWhitechapel
A ring of eight including the tenor was cast in 1738 by Richard Phelps and Thomas Lester of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
English examples include St Dunstan's, Stepney and St Dunstan's, Mayfield; St Michael's, Beckwithshaw; St Mary-le-More, Wallingford Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Killinghall.

Church of England parish church

parish churchAnglican parish churchChurch of England parish
St Mary-le-More is a Church of England parish church in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England.

Advowson

patronagepatronadvowsons
St Mary le More existed by 1077, when the advowson belonged to St Alban's Abbey.

St Albans Cathedral

St Albans AbbeySt AlbansAbbey of St Albans
St Mary le More existed by 1077, when the advowson belonged to St Alban's Abbey.

English Gothic architecture

PerpendicularEarly EnglishDecorated
The west tower was originally 12th century but its upper stages were rebuilt in a Perpendicular Gothic style in about 1653.

Nave

navessingle-navesanctuary
The nave and aisle were built in the 13th and 14th century and the chancel was built somewhat later, but all were rebuilt in 1854 to designs by the Gothic Revival architect David Brandon.

Aisle

aislesside aisleaisled
The nave and aisle were built in the 13th and 14th century and the chancel was built somewhat later, but all were rebuilt in 1854 to designs by the Gothic Revival architect David Brandon.

Gothic Revival architecture

Gothic RevivalNeo-GothicGothic
The nave and aisle were built in the 13th and 14th century and the chancel was built somewhat later, but all were rebuilt in 1854 to designs by the Gothic Revival architect David Brandon.

David Brandon (architect)

David BrandonBrandonD. Brandon
The nave and aisle were built in the 13th and 14th century and the chancel was built somewhat later, but all were rebuilt in 1854 to designs by the Gothic Revival architect David Brandon.

Thomas Willement

Willement
In the present building, the west window of the north aisle has stained glass made in 1856 by Thomas Willement.

Pulpit

ambocentral pulpitthree-decker pulpit
The pulpit was made in 1888 by the sculptor Onslow Ford.

Edward Onslow Ford

Onslow FordE. Onslow Ford
The pulpit was made in 1888 by the sculptor Onslow Ford.

Lady chapel

Lady ChapelsLady-chapelChapel
The site of Lady Chapel subsequently became the larger choir vestry during the reordering.

Altar in the Catholic Church

altarHigh Altaraltars
The Lady Chapel was then moved to the dais of the former High Altar in the Sanctuary just beyond the retained choir stalls.

Choir (architecture)

choirchoir stallsquire
The Lady Chapel was then moved to the dais of the former High Altar in the Sanctuary just beyond the retained choir stalls.

Eucharist

Holy CommunioncommunionLord's Supper
The main altar used during services of Holy Communion is now centrally placed on the raised dais in front of the Rood Screen in the nave.

Rood screen

rood loftchancel screenchoir screen
The main altar used during services of Holy Communion is now centrally placed on the raised dais in front of the Rood Screen in the nave.

Vestry

vestriesselect vestryadministrative vestry
A meeting room was formed above the Clergy vestry within the second (middle) chamber of the tower.

Mezzanine

mezzaninesmezzanine floorentresol
Access to the meeting room is granted by means of a new internal staircase and mezzanine floor.

Liturgical year

liturgical calendarchurch yearliturgical season
Of particular mention is the wall banner found to the left of the 20th Century Rood Screen which denotes the appropriate season of the liturgical year.

Change ringing

ringbellringerchange-ringing
The tower has a ring of 10 bells.

Richard Phelps (bell-founder)

Richard Phelps
A ring of eight including the tenor was cast in 1738 by Richard Phelps and Thomas Lester of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.

Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria

Golden JubileeQueen Victoria's Golden JubileeGolden
Mears and Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry re-cast the second bell of that ring (now the fourth bell of the present ring) in 1887, the year of the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

Oxfordshire

County of OxfordOxfordshire, EnglandCounty of Oxfordshire