Ste. Genevieve, Missouri

Ste. GenevieveSainte GenevieveSainte Genevieve, MissouriSainte-GenevièveSte GenevieveSte-GenevièveSte. GenevièveSte. Geneviève, MissouriFort Sainte-GenevièveLe Vieux Village de Ste. Genevieve
'''Ste.wikipedia
269 Related Articles

Missouri

MOState of MissouriMissouri, USA
Genevieve (Sainte-Geneviève''' with French spelling) is a city in Ste. Genevieve Township and is the county seat of Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri, United States.
The French established Louisiana, a part of New France, founding Ste. Genevieve in 1735 and St. Louis in 1764.

Ste. Genevieve Township, Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri

Ste. Genevieve TownshipSte. Genevieve
Genevieve (Sainte-Geneviève''' with French spelling) is a city in Ste. Genevieve Township and is the county seat of Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri, United States.
The township was named for the city of Ste. Genevieve, which in turn was named for the Catholic saint Genevieve, the patron saint of Paris.

Illinois Country

Upper LouisianaPays des IllinoisIllinois
This area was known as New France, Illinois Country, or the Upper Louisiana territory. The Spanish moved the capital of Upper Louisiana from Fort de Chartres fifty miles upriver to St. Louis.
By the mid-18th century, the major settlements included Cahokia, Kaskaskia, Chartres, Saint Philippe, and Prairie du Rocher, all on the east side of the Mississippi in present-day Illinois; and Ste. Genevieve across the river in Missouri, as well as Fort Vincennes in what is now Indiana.

St. Louis

St. Louis, MissouriSt. Louis, MOSaint Louis, Missouri
The Spanish moved the capital of Upper Louisiana from Fort de Chartres fifty miles upriver to St. Louis. In 1794 Francisco Luis Héctor de Carondelet, the Spanish governor at New Orleans, appointed brothers Pierre Chouteau and Auguste Chouteau of St. Louis to have exclusive trading privileges with the Big Osage. Genevieve is located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the Illinois state line along Interstate 55, U.S. Route 61, and Missouri Route 32, approximately 46 mi south-southeast of St. Louis and 196 mi north-northwest of Memphis, Tennessee.
Migrants from the French villages on the opposite side of the Mississippi River (e.g. Kaskaskia) founded Ste. Genevieve in the 1730s.

Mississippi River

MississippiMississippi ValleyMississippi Basin
Founded in 1735 by French Canadian colonists and settlers from east of the river, it was the first organized European settlement west of the Mississippi River in present-day Missouri. Genevieve is located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the Illinois state line along Interstate 55, U.S. Route 61, and Missouri Route 32, approximately 46 mi south-southeast of St. Louis and 196 mi north-northwest of Memphis, Tennessee.

Prairie du Rocher, Illinois

Prairie du RocherPrairie du Rocher (Illinois)
Prairie du Rocher and Cahokia, Illinois were also early local French colonial settlements on the east side of the river.
Some villagers moved to the west side of the Mississippi and founded Ste. Genevieve about 1750, in present-day Missouri.

Louis Bolduc House

One of the oldest structures is the Louis Bolduc House built in 1792, which has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.
The Louis Bolduc House, also known as Maison Bolduc, is a historic house museum at 123 South Main Street in Ste. Geneviève, Missouri.

Felix Vallé House State Historic Site

Odile Pratte Valle
Other structures of note are the 1806 La Maison de Guibourd Historic House, the 1818 Felix Vallé House State Historic Site, the 1792 Beauvais-Amoureux House, the 1790s Bequette-Ribault House, and the 1808 Old Louisiana Academy, all of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Felix Vallé House State Historic Site is a state-owned historic preserve comprising the Felix Vallé House and other early 19th-century buildings in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.

Auguste Chouteau

René Auguste ChouteauChouteauAugust Chouteau
In 1794 Francisco Luis Héctor de Carondelet, the Spanish governor at New Orleans, appointed brothers Pierre Chouteau and Auguste Chouteau of St. Louis to have exclusive trading privileges with the Big Osage.
Maxent and Laclède formed a partnership in the early 1760s to build a French trading post on the west bank of the Mississippi River north of the village of Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.

Cahokia, Illinois

CahokiaCahokia, ILCahokia Village
Prairie du Rocher and Cahokia, Illinois were also early local French colonial settlements on the east side of the river.
Many moved to Lower Louisiana, where they founded new Canadien villages on the west side of the Mississippi River, such as Ste. Genevieve, Missouri and St. Louis.

Kaskaskia, Illinois

KaskaskiaFort KaskaskiaKaskaskia Island
Kaskaskia, which became Illinois’ first capital upon statehood, was located about five miles southeast.
Kaskaskia continued to exist as a French-speaking village on the Mississippi River frontier.Rather than live under British rule after France ceded the territory east of the river, many French-speaking people from Kaskaskia and other colonial towns moved west of the Mississippi to Ste. Genevieve, St. Louis, and other areas.

Ste. Genevieve Catholic Church

Church of Ste. Genevieve
The current Ste. Genevieve Catholic Church was built in 1876 and modeled after the Gothic style of those in France.
Genevieve Catholic Church''' is a Roman Catholic church located in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, the first organized European settlement west of the Mississippi River in the United States of America.

Missouri Route 32

Route 3232Highway 32
Genevieve is located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the Illinois state line along Interstate 55, U.S. Route 61, and Missouri Route 32, approximately 46 mi south-southeast of St. Louis and 196 mi north-northwest of Memphis, Tennessee.
Its eastern terminus is at the Mississippi River near Ste. Genevieve; its western terminus is at U.S. Route 54 in El Dorado Springs.

Illinois

ILState of IllinoisIll.
Genevieve is located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the Illinois state line along Interstate 55, U.S. Route 61, and Missouri Route 32, approximately 46 mi south-southeast of St. Louis and 196 mi north-northwest of Memphis, Tennessee.
The small French settlements continued, although many French migrated west to Ste. Genevieve and St. Louis, Missouri, to evade British rule.

Le Grand Champ Bottom

Grand ChampGrand Champ BottomGrand Champ bottomlands
Only the exterior of the Grand Champ (Big Field) was fenced, but each owner of land was responsible for fencing his portion, to keep out livestock.
Genevieve (Le Vieux Village de Ste. Genevieve).

Jacques Guibourd Historic House

La Maison de Guibourd
Other structures of note are the 1806 La Maison de Guibourd Historic House, the 1818 Felix Vallé House State Historic Site, the 1792 Beauvais-Amoureux House, the 1790s Bequette-Ribault House, and the 1808 Old Louisiana Academy, all of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It has been noted that when Jacques arrived in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri sometime in the late 1790s, he was penniless.

U.S. Route 61

US 61U.S. Highway 6161
Genevieve is located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the Illinois state line along Interstate 55, U.S. Route 61, and Missouri Route 32, approximately 46 mi south-southeast of St. Louis and 196 mi north-northwest of Memphis, Tennessee.
Crossing Route 32 at the "one of the oldest French Colonial settlements west of the Mississippi River (1735)", Ste. Genevieve, the road continues through Ste.

Augustus C. Dodge

Augustus Caesar DodgeAugustus Dodge
He was born in what is now Ste. Genevieve, Missouri (then in Louisiana Territory).

William Pope McArthur

William P. McArthur
McArthur was born in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri to John and Mary (Linn) McArthur.

Lewis V. Bogy

Lewis Vital Bogy
Born in Ste. Geneviève, he attended the public schools, was employed as clerk in a mercantile establishment, studied law in Illinois, graduated from Transylvania University (Lexington, Kentucky in 1835 and commenced practice in St. Louis.

List of mayors of Ste. Genevieve, Missouri

List of Ste. Genevieve mayors
* List of Ste. Genevieve mayors
The city of Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, located in Missouri's 8th congressional district in southeastern Missouri, is the county seat of Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri, and one of the oldest European settlements west of the Mississippi River.

Poteaux-sur-sol

poteaux-sur-sollepoteaux sur sollepost and sill
The most distinctive buildings of this period were the "vertical wooden post" constructions where walls of buildings were built based on wood "posts" either dug into the ground (poteaux en terre) or set on a raised stone or brick foundation (poteaux sur solle).
In the present-day United States, houses in this style can be found in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri; Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, and former French settlements in Louisiana—all former parts of New France (La Louisiane).

Interstate 55 in Missouri

Interstate 55I-55Interstates 55
Genevieve is located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the Illinois state line along Interstate 55, U.S. Route 61, and Missouri Route 32, approximately 46 mi south-southeast of St. Louis and 196 mi north-northwest of Memphis, Tennessee.
I-55 then goes through rural areas again as it makes a north-northwesterly run through the towns of Perryville and Ste. Genevieve before entering the southern reaches of the St. Louis metro area at the interchange with U.S. Route 67 and the Twin Cities of Festus and Crystal City.

Ste. Genevieve Academy

Genevieve Academy''' in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, enjoys a wealth of documentary evidence, which far surpasses that of any other contributing property contained within the Ste.

Lewis F. Linn

Lewis Fields LinnLewis LinnDr. Lewis F. Linn
Linn was admitted to practice as a medical doctor and subsequently relocated to Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.