Stepney

Stepney GreenStepney Historical TrustStepney, LondonManor of StepneySt Dunstan's and Stepney GreenManor and Ancient Parish of StepneyStepney Borough CouncilStepney FieldsStepney Parish ChurchStepney, East London
Stepney, also known as Stepney Green, is a district in the East End of London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets that grew out of a merging of both a medieval village around St Dunstan's church and a 15th-century ribbon development of Mile End Road called Stepney Green.wikipedia
660 Related Articles

St Dunstan's, Stepney

St DunstanSt Dunstan's ChurchSt. Dunstan
Stepney, also known as Stepney Green, is a district in the East End of London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets that grew out of a merging of both a medieval village around St Dunstan's church and a 15th-century ribbon development of Mile End Road called Stepney Green. The hithe itself is thought to have been at Ratcliff, just under half a mile south of St Dunstans Church. St Dunstan's Church was founded (or rebuilt) around 952, by St Dunstan himself when he was Bishop of London, and therefore also Lord of the Manor of Stepney.
It is located in Stepney High Street, in Stepney, London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

Ratcliff

Ratcliff CrossRatcliffe FireHamlet of Ratcliff within the parish of St Dunstan Stepney
The hithe itself is thought to have been at Ratcliff, just under half a mile south of St Dunstans Church. The parish included the hamlets of Mile End Old Town, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bow, Shadwell, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Limehouse and Poplar.
Ratcliff or Ratcliffe is a former hamlet and locality lying by the north bank of the River Thames that is now split between the modern day districts of Limehouse, Stepney and Shadwell after being absorbed into both.

Arbour Square

Arbour
Some Georgian architecture and Victorian era terraced housing survive in patches: for example Arbour Square, the eastern side of Stepney Green, and the streets around Matlock Street.
Arbour Square is a late Georgian square in Stepney, in the borough of Tower Hamlets, east London, England.

East End of London

East EndEast LondonLondon's East End
Stepney, also known as Stepney Green, is a district in the East End of London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets that grew out of a merging of both a medieval village around St Dunstan's church and a 15th-century ribbon development of Mile End Road called Stepney Green.
Samuel Pepys moved his family and goods to Bethnal Green during the Great Fire of London, and Captain Cook moved from Shadwell to Stepney Green, where a school and assembly rooms had been established (commemorated by Assembly Passage, and a plaque on the site of Cook's house on the Mile End Road).

Hackney, London

HackneyHackney proper
The first contemporary record of the Manor is around the year 1000, it covered an area equivalent to the modern borough of Tower Hamlets, as well as the district of Hackney (in the wider modern borough of the same name).
It is not known exactly when the parish formed, it may have initially been part of the parish of Stepney, as Hackney was initially a sub-manor of Stepney.

Bethnal Green

Globe TownBethnal Green, LondonBethnal Green Road
The earliest record of the Bishop's Manor house is for Bishopswood (later known as Bonner Hall) in 1207, this was sited in the Bethnal Green area. The parish included the hamlets of Mile End Old Town, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bow, Shadwell, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Limehouse and Poplar.
The topographer Daniel Lysons suggested in the late 18th century that Bethnal was a corruption of the name Bathon-Hall which would have been the residence of a notable Bathon family who owned large areas of Stepney, the parish of which Bethnal Green was once a part.

Bromley-by-Bow

BromleyBromley by BowBromley St Leonard
Stepney formed a large Ancient Parish in the Tower division of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; bounded by Bromley (almost certainly part of Stepney until the Reformation) and West Ham to the east, the River Thames to the south, Shoreditch and Hackney (after its probable early split from Stepney) to the north and the City of London and the Liberties of the Tower of London to the west.
The formal boundaries of the area were set when the area became an parish in 1537 when it split from Stepney.

Limehouse

Limehouse ReachSt Anne LimehouseLimehouse Blues
The parish included the hamlets of Mile End Old Town, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bow, Shadwell, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Limehouse and Poplar.
It is located between Stepney to the west and north, Mile End and Bow to the northwest, Poplar to the east, and Canary Wharf and Millwall to the south, and stretches from the end of Cable Street and Butcher Row in the west to Stainsby Road near Bartlett Park in the east, and from West India Dock (South Dock) and the River Thames in the south to Salmon Lane and Rhodeswell Road in the north.

Shadwell

Shadwell TownSt Paul ShadwellSt Paul, Shadwell
The parish included the hamlets of Mile End Old Town, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bow, Shadwell, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Limehouse and Poplar.
In the sixteenth century, Shadwell was an almost uninhabited hamlet in Stepney, although historian John Stow recalled that elm trees were removed from Shadwell in order to make way for tenements.

Malplaquet House

Malplaquet House is named after the Battle of Malplaquet, one of the main battles of the War of the Spanish Succession, which took place in France in 1709.
Malplaquet House is a Grade II listed Georgian house at 137–139 Mile End Road, Stepney, London.

Whitechapel

Whitechapel, LondonWhitechapel Idea StoreSt. Mary, Whitechapel
The parish included the hamlets of Mile End Old Town, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Whitechapel, Wapping, Bow, Shadwell, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Limehouse and Poplar.
By the 1840s, Whitechapel, along with the enclaves of Wapping, Aldgate, Bethnal Green, Mile End, Limehouse, Bow, Bromley-by-Bow, Poplar, Shadwell and Stepney (collectively known today as "the East End"), had evolved into classic "Dickensian" London, with problems of poverty and overcrowding.

Tower division

Tower HamletsTowerTower Division (aka Tower Hamlets)
Stepney formed a large Ancient Parish in the Tower division of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; bounded by Bromley (almost certainly part of Stepney until the Reformation) and West Ham to the east, the River Thames to the south, Shoreditch and Hackney (after its probable early split from Stepney) to the north and the City of London and the Liberties of the Tower of London to the west.
Sir Richard Southwell and Sir Arthur Darcye were ordered by the Privy Council in that year to muster the men of the Hamlets "whiche owe their service to the Towre, and to give commaundement that they may be in aredynes for the defence of the same. This was long before the creation of the Liberty, and as the Hamlets are described as "owing" service there must have been a customary duty long before that date. It can be speculated that that duty had its origin in the rights and obligations of the Manor of Stepney which once covered most or all of the Hamlets area.

Metropolitan Borough of Stepney

StepneyStepney Borough CouncilStepney Borough
From 1900-1965 the place-name was again applied to a broader area, the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney which in 1965 became the south-west part of the new London Borough of Tower Hamlets which currently administers the area.
These were St Anne, Limehouse, St Mary Matfelon, Whitechapel, St Dunstan, for Stepney and St George in the East.

Stepney Green tube station

Stepney GreenStepney Green stationStepney Green stations
He enlisted the help of local amateurs, and the Russian Jewish Operatic Company made their debut at the Beaumont Hall, close to Stepney Green tube station.
Stepney Green is a London Underground station located on Mile End Road in Stepney, London, United Kingdom.

London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Tower HamletsBorough of Tower HamletsTower Hamlets Borough
Stepney, also known as Stepney Green, is a district in the East End of London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets that grew out of a merging of both a medieval village around St Dunstan's church and a 15th-century ribbon development of Mile End Road called Stepney Green. The first contemporary record of the Manor is around the year 1000, it covered an area equivalent to the modern borough of Tower Hamlets, as well as the district of Hackney (in the wider modern borough of the same name). From 1900-1965 the place-name was again applied to a broader area, the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney which in 1965 became the south-west part of the new London Borough of Tower Hamlets which currently administers the area.
The coat of arms of the modern Borough of Tower Hamlets was granted by the College of Arms in 1965 and comprises a number of elements representing the trade and heritage of the area, particularly the link to the maritime trades and the strong links to the former Manor and Ancient Parish of Stepney, an area which included much or all of the area of the current borough.

Charrington Brewery

CharringtonsCharringtonCharrington and Co.
A brewery was founded in 1738 that developed into Charrington and Co. in 1897.
In 1766, John Charrington joined the company, which then traded as Westfield, Moss & Charrington from the Anchor Brewery in Stepney.

Stepney City Farm

Stepney City Farm is a city farm which provides a number of community services, such as guided tours, workshops and other activities.
Stepney City Farm is a city farm in Stepney, London, England.

Stamford Hill

Stamford Hill, LondonLondon
In the early 20th century, Stepney was one of the most Jewish neighbourhoods in England; it was eventually superseded as such by Stamford Hill.
From the 1880s, a new influx of Jews arrived from Stepney in the East End and, in 1915, the New Synagogue was transferred to Stamford Hill to serve this growing population.

Bethnal Green and Bow (UK Parliament constituency)

Bethnal Green and BowBethnal Green & BowBethnal Green and Bow constituency
Stepney is in the constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow, represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2010 by Rushanara Ali of the Labour Party.
*Bethnal Green North, Bethnal Green South, Bow East, Bow West, Mile End and Globe Town, St Dunstan’s and Stepney Green, Spitalfields including Brick Lane, Weavers, and Whitechapel in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets*

Senrab F.C.

SenrabSenrab (F.C.)
The district's Senrab Street gave its name to Senrab F.C., a youth team now based in Wanstead Flats and notable for producing many future professional players.
The club takes its name from Senrab Street in Stepney; the club's players trained at Marion Richardson School on Senrab Street (which is close to Barnes Street, and is 'Barnes' spelt backwards).

Des O'Connor

Des O ConnorDes O’ConnorDes O' Connor
The entertainer Des O'Connor was born in Stepney, as were actors Steven Berkoff, Terence Stamp and Craig Fairbrass, playwright Arnold Wesker, gardener and television presenter Rachel De Thame, television executive, presenter and former BBC1 and BBC2 controller Alan Yentob, artist Frank Paton, drummer Kenney Jones, musician and writer Jah Wobble, singer/record producer Kenny Lynch and his sister, also a singer, Maxine Daniels, also singer Charles Coborn.
O'Connor was born in Stepney, East London, to Maude (née Bassett) and Harry O'Connor.

Dunstan

St DunstanSaint DunstanSt. Dunstan
St Dunstan's Church was founded (or rebuilt) around 952, by St Dunstan himself when he was Bishop of London, and therefore also Lord of the Manor of Stepney.
As Bishop of London, Dunstan was also Lord of the Manor of Stepney, and may, like subsequent bishops, have lived there.

Steven Berkoff

KvetchBerkoffShakespeare's Villains: A Masterclass in Evil
The entertainer Des O'Connor was born in Stepney, as were actors Steven Berkoff, Terence Stamp and Craig Fairbrass, playwright Arnold Wesker, gardener and television presenter Rachel De Thame, television executive, presenter and former BBC1 and BBC2 controller Alan Yentob, artist Frank Paton, drummer Kenney Jones, musician and writer Jah Wobble, singer/record producer Kenny Lynch and his sister, also a singer, Maxine Daniels, also singer Charles Coborn.
Berkoff was born Leslie Steven Berkoff on 3 August 1937, in Stepney in the East End of London.

Arnold Wesker

Centre 42Sir Arnold WeskerI'm Talking About Jerusalem
The entertainer Des O'Connor was born in Stepney, as were actors Steven Berkoff, Terence Stamp and Craig Fairbrass, playwright Arnold Wesker, gardener and television presenter Rachel De Thame, television executive, presenter and former BBC1 and BBC2 controller Alan Yentob, artist Frank Paton, drummer Kenney Jones, musician and writer Jah Wobble, singer/record producer Kenny Lynch and his sister, also a singer, Maxine Daniels, also singer Charles Coborn.
Wesker was born in Stepney, London, in 1932, the son of Leah (née Cecile Leah Perlmutter), a cook, and Joseph Wesker, a tailor's machinist, and an active communist.

Rachel De Thame

The entertainer Des O'Connor was born in Stepney, as were actors Steven Berkoff, Terence Stamp and Craig Fairbrass, playwright Arnold Wesker, gardener and television presenter Rachel De Thame, television executive, presenter and former BBC1 and BBC2 controller Alan Yentob, artist Frank Paton, drummer Kenney Jones, musician and writer Jah Wobble, singer/record producer Kenny Lynch and his sister, also a singer, Maxine Daniels, also singer Charles Coborn.
Rachel de Thame (born Rachel Cohen, 13 October 1961 in Stepney, London) is an English gardener, television presenter and actress.