Stewart's Department Store

StewartPosner BuildingStewart & Co.Stewart's (department store)
Stewart's Department Store, also known as the Posner Building, is a historic department store building located on Howard Street at Baltimore, Maryland, United States.wikipedia
24 Related Articles

Howard Street (Baltimore)

Howard StreetNorth Howard StreetHoward Street Bridge
Stewart's Department Store, also known as the Posner Building, is a historic department store building located on Howard Street at Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Stewart's began in 1901 when Louis Stewart acquired the building of Posner's Department Store on the northeast corner of Howard and Lexington Streets.
Howard Street around Lexington and Clay Streets was the center of upscale department and specialty store shopping until decline and eventual store closures in the 1970s, with Hutzler's, Stewart's, Hecht's and Hochschild Kohn all located on or facing Howard.

Catholic Relief Services

Catholic Relief ServiceCRSWar Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services is currently headquartered there.
Catholic Relief Services is headquartered in the Posner Building in Baltimore, Maryland, while operating numerous field offices on five continents.

Reisterstown Road Plaza

They included Reisterstown Road Plaza in 1962, Timonium Mall in 1969, Westview Shopping Center (an addition to a 1958 Mall) in 1969, and the store's final branch at Golden Ring Mall in Rosedale, Maryland, in 1974.
Previous anchors at the Reisterstown Road Plaza were the now defunct chains of Stewart's/Caldor, Zayre/Ames, Hechinger, and Hecht's.

Associated Dry Goods

Associated Dry Goods CorporationAssociated Dry Goods Corp.United Dry Goods
The chain was a founding member of Associated Dry Goods or ADG.
Though Siegel failed in his endeavor, the remnants of the chain were merged with John Claflin's stores H.B. Claflin & Company, along with Lord & Taylor, Stewart & Co., Hengerer's, and J. N. Adam & Co. (with financing from J. P. Morgan & Company), to create Associated Dry Goods.

Charles E. Cassell

The Stewart's Department Store structure was designed in 1899 by Charles E. Cassell and is a six-story brick and terra cotta steel-framed building detailed in a highly ornate Italian Renaissance Revival style.

Westview Mall

Westview Shopping Center
They included Reisterstown Road Plaza in 1962, Timonium Mall in 1969, Westview Shopping Center (an addition to a 1958 Mall) in 1969, and the store's final branch at Golden Ring Mall in Rosedale, Maryland, in 1974.
The original anchors were Hutzler's and Stewart's although Stewart's became Caldor in 1983.

The Centre at Golden Ring

Golden Ring MallGolden Ring Plaza
They included Reisterstown Road Plaza in 1962, Timonium Mall in 1969, Westview Shopping Center (an addition to a 1958 Mall) in 1969, and the store's final branch at Golden Ring Mall in Rosedale, Maryland, in 1974.
The mall had three anchors: Hecht's (known as The Hecht Company at the time), Montgomery Ward, and Stewart's (a local Baltimore area department store).

Department store

department storesdepartmentdepartment-store
Stewart's Department Store, also known as the Posner Building, is a historic department store building located on Howard Street at Baltimore, Maryland, United States.

Maryland

MDState of MarylandMaryland, USA
Stewart's Department Store, also known as the Posner Building, is a historic department store building located on Howard Street at Baltimore, Maryland, United States.

United States

AmericanU.S.USA
Stewart's Department Store, also known as the Posner Building, is a historic department store building located on Howard Street at Baltimore, Maryland, United States.

Terracotta

terra cottaterra-cottaterracota
The Stewart's Department Store structure was designed in 1899 by Charles E. Cassell and is a six-story brick and terra cotta steel-framed building detailed in a highly ornate Italian Renaissance Revival style.

Steel frame

steel-framedsteel-framed buildingsteel framing
The Stewart's Department Store structure was designed in 1899 by Charles E. Cassell and is a six-story brick and terra cotta steel-framed building detailed in a highly ornate Italian Renaissance Revival style.

Renaissance Revival architecture

Renaissance RevivalNeo-RenaissanceItalian Renaissance Revival
The Stewart's Department Store structure was designed in 1899 by Charles E. Cassell and is a six-story brick and terra cotta steel-framed building detailed in a highly ornate Italian Renaissance Revival style.

Ionic order

IonicIonic columnsIonic column
It features an exuberant ornamental detail includes fluted Ionic and Corinthian columns, lion heads, caryatids, wreaths, garlands, cartouches, and an elaborate bracketed cornice.

Corinthian order

CorinthianCorinthian columnsCorinthian column
It features an exuberant ornamental detail includes fluted Ionic and Corinthian columns, lion heads, caryatids, wreaths, garlands, cartouches, and an elaborate bracketed cornice.

National Register of Historic Places

National RegisterMultiple Property SubmissionNational Register of Historical Places
The Stewart's Department Store Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

List of streets in Baltimore

Baltimore StreetCold Spring LaneSaratoga Street
Stewart's began in 1901 when Louis Stewart acquired the building of Posner's Department Store on the northeast corner of Howard and Lexington Streets.

Rosedale, Maryland

RosedaleRosedale Industrial ParkChesaco Park
They included Reisterstown Road Plaza in 1962, Timonium Mall in 1969, Westview Shopping Center (an addition to a 1958 Mall) in 1969, and the store's final branch at Golden Ring Mall in Rosedale, Maryland, in 1974.

Caldor

Caldor Corporation
Suburban stores were converted to ADG's Caldor discount chain in 1983.

Baltimore

Baltimore, MarylandBaltimore, MDBaltimore City
Stewart's Department Store, also known as the Posner Building, is a historic department store building located on Howard Street at Baltimore, Maryland, United States.

Alexander Turney Stewart

A.T. StewartAlexander T. StewartA. T. Stewart
Stewart's was an unrelated, now-defunct, Baltimore, Maryland-based chain of department stores, Stewart Dry Goods was another now-defunct Louisville, Kentucky chain.