Théâtre de la foire

Foire Saint-LaurentFoire Saint-GermainSaint-Germain Fairfair theatresFoire St GermainFoire St LaurentFoires Saint-Germain and Saint-LaurentSaint-Laurent FairThéâtre de la Foire Saint-Laurent Foire Saint-Germain, Paris
Théâtre de la foire is the collective name given to the theatre put on at the annual fairs at Saint-Germain and Saint-Laurent (and for a time, at Saint-Ovide) in Paris.wikipedia
104 Related Articles

Hôtel de Bourgogne (theatre)

Hôtel de BourgogneHotel de BourgogneComédiens du Roi
The fair's first actors whose names are recorded were Jehan Courtin and Nicolas Poteau, who so entertained the Parisian public in 1595 that the actors of the Hôtel de Bourgogne filed a suit against them; they probably lost because the two fairground actors returned several years later.
The Comédie-Italienne gradually began to perform plays in French, merged with the Opéra Comique of the Théâtre de la Foire in 1762, and moved to the Salle Favart in 1783, after which the theatre at the Hôtel de Bourgogne permanently closed.

Louis Fuzelier

FuzelierLouis Fuselier
Among the most famous artists of the Saint-Germain fair were: marionnette manipulators Jean and François Datelin (better known by the name Brioché), Jean-Baptiste Archambault, Jérôme, Arthur and Nicolas Féron; dancers Charles and Pierre Alard, Moritz von der Beek (aka Maurice), Alexandre Bertrand and Louis Nivelon; actors Louis Gauthier de Saint-Edme, Jean-Baptiste Constantini, Catherine von der Beek, Étienne Baron, Charles Dolet, Antoine Francassani, Jean-Baptiste Hamoche, Dominique Biancolelli, Francisque, and many others for whom Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier and Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval wrote numerous plays.
He wrote more than 200 plays for the Théâtre de la foire (theatres of the fair), alone or in collaboration with Alain-René Lesage, Alexis Piron or Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval.

Jean Brioché

Jean
Among the most famous artists of the Saint-Germain fair were: marionnette manipulators Jean and François Datelin (better known by the name Brioché), Jean-Baptiste Archambault, Jérôme, Arthur and Nicolas Féron; dancers Charles and Pierre Alard, Moritz von der Beek (aka Maurice), Alexandre Bertrand and Louis Nivelon; actors Louis Gauthier de Saint-Edme, Jean-Baptiste Constantini, Catherine von der Beek, Étienne Baron, Charles Dolet, Antoine Francassani, Jean-Baptiste Hamoche, Dominique Biancolelli, Francisque, and many others for whom Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier and Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval wrote numerous plays.
First a tooth-puller, Brioche opened in Paris in 1650, the first puppet theaters at foires Saint-Laurent et Saint-Germain,

Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval

d'OrnevalDorneval
Among the most famous artists of the Saint-Germain fair were: marionnette manipulators Jean and François Datelin (better known by the name Brioché), Jean-Baptiste Archambault, Jérôme, Arthur and Nicolas Féron; dancers Charles and Pierre Alard, Moritz von der Beek (aka Maurice), Alexandre Bertrand and Louis Nivelon; actors Louis Gauthier de Saint-Edme, Jean-Baptiste Constantini, Catherine von der Beek, Étienne Baron, Charles Dolet, Antoine Francassani, Jean-Baptiste Hamoche, Dominique Biancolelli, Francisque, and many others for whom Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier and Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval wrote numerous plays.
He wrote more than 80 theatre plays for the theatres de la foire, alone or in collaboration with Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier, Alexis Piron, Joseph de La Font and Jacques Autreau.

Francisque (actor)

FrancisqueFrançois Moylin, stage name FrancisqueFrançois Moylin
Among the most famous artists of the Saint-Germain fair were: marionnette manipulators Jean and François Datelin (better known by the name Brioché), Jean-Baptiste Archambault, Jérôme, Arthur and Nicolas Féron; dancers Charles and Pierre Alard, Moritz von der Beek (aka Maurice), Alexandre Bertrand and Louis Nivelon; actors Louis Gauthier de Saint-Edme, Jean-Baptiste Constantini, Catherine von der Beek, Étienne Baron, Charles Dolet, Antoine Francassani, Jean-Baptiste Hamoche, Dominique Biancolelli, Francisque, and many others for whom Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier and Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval wrote numerous plays.
An actor in fairs and showman impresario, Francisque first played in the province and came to Paris to the foire Saint-Germain in 1715 and then to that of 1718.

François Datelin

Fanchon
Among the most famous artists of the Saint-Germain fair were: marionnette manipulators Jean and François Datelin (better known by the name Brioché), Jean-Baptiste Archambault, Jérôme, Arthur and Nicolas Féron; dancers Charles and Pierre Alard, Moritz von der Beek (aka Maurice), Alexandre Bertrand and Louis Nivelon; actors Louis Gauthier de Saint-Edme, Jean-Baptiste Constantini, Catherine von der Beek, Étienne Baron, Charles Dolet, Antoine Francassani, Jean-Baptiste Hamoche, Dominique Biancolelli, Francisque, and many others for whom Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier and Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval wrote numerous plays.
The son of Jean Brioché, he took over his father's puppets theatre at foires Saint-Laurent and Saint-Germain when the latter died.

Blaise le savetier

François-André Danican Philidor's opéra comique Blaise le savetier was produced there on 9 March 1759, followed by Le jardinier et son seigneur on 18 February 1761.
The first complete opéra comique by the composer, it was premiered by the Opéra-Comique at the Foire St Germain in Paris on 9 March 1759.

Opéra comique

opéra-comiqueopéras comiquesopéras-comiques
François-André Danican Philidor's opéra comique Blaise le savetier was produced there on 9 March 1759, followed by Le jardinier et son seigneur on 18 February 1761. A number of celebrated opéras comiques by François-André Danican Philidor were first performed at the fair: Le diable à quatre, ou La double métamorphose (19 August 1756), L'huître et les plaideurs, ou Le tribunal de la chicane (17 September 1759), Le soldat magicien (14 August 1760), and Le maréchal ferrant (22 August 1761).
It emerged from the popular opéras comiques en vaudevilles of the Fair Theatres of St Germain and St Laurent (and to a lesser extent the Comédie-Italienne), which combined existing popular tunes with spoken sections.

Alain-René Lesage

LesageAlain-René Le SageLe Sage
Among the most famous artists of the Saint-Germain fair were: marionnette manipulators Jean and François Datelin (better known by the name Brioché), Jean-Baptiste Archambault, Jérôme, Arthur and Nicolas Féron; dancers Charles and Pierre Alard, Moritz von der Beek (aka Maurice), Alexandre Bertrand and Louis Nivelon; actors Louis Gauthier de Saint-Edme, Jean-Baptiste Constantini, Catherine von der Beek, Étienne Baron, Charles Dolet, Antoine Francassani, Jean-Baptiste Hamoche, Dominique Biancolelli, Francisque, and many others for whom Alain-René Lesage, Louis Fuzelier and Jacques-Philippe d'Orneval wrote numerous plays.
Notwithstanding the great merit and success of Turcaret and Crispin, the Théâtre Français did not welcome him, and in 1715 he began to write for the Théâtre de la foire, the comic opera held in booths at festival time.

Opéra-Comique

Opéra ComiqueThéâtre national de l'Opéra-ComiqueComédie-Italienne
Thus the Opéra-Comique was born in 1714.
The Opéra-Comique is a Paris opera company, which was founded around 1714 by some of the popular theatres of the Parisian fairs.

Church of Saint-Sulpice, Paris

Saint-SulpiceChurch of Saint-SulpiceÉglise Saint-Sulpice
The baroque interior of the Lady Chapel (rebuilt by Servandoni in 1729) was designed by Charles de Wailly in 1774, after the chapel was badly damaged by a fire which destroyed the nearby Foire Saint-Germain in 1762.

Place Vendôme

Vendôme ColumnColonne VendômePlace Vendome
Founded in 1764 at the Place Louis XIV (now known as Place Vendôme), the Saint-Ovide fair moved to the Place Louis XV (now called the Place de la Concorde) in 1772.
The Foire Saint-Ovide settled in 1764 on the place until 1771.

Le maréchal ferrant

A number of celebrated opéras comiques by François-André Danican Philidor were first performed at the fair: Le diable à quatre, ou La double métamorphose (19 August 1756), L'huître et les plaideurs, ou Le tribunal de la chicane (17 September 1759), Le soldat magicien (14 August 1760), and Le maréchal ferrant (22 August 1761).
The work was first performed by the Opéra-Comique at the Théâtre de la Foire St Laurent in Paris, on 22 August 1761, and was later performed by the same company at the Hôtel de Bourgogne on 10 February 1762 and for the royal court at Faintainebleau on 3 November 1762.

Théâtre de la Gaîté (boulevard du Temple)

Théâtre de la GaîtéThéâtre de la GaitéGaîté
It was also at the fairs and on the boulevards that Jean-Baptiste Nicolet's troupe, the Grands-Danseurs du Roi, was born.
The Théâtre de la Gaîté, a former Parisian theatre company, was founded in 1759 on the boulevard du Temple by the celebrated Parisian fair-grounds showman Jean-Baptiste Nicolet as the Théâtre de Nicolet, ou des Grands Danseurs.

Comédie-Italienne

Théâtre-ItalienComédie ItalienneThéâtre Italien
Meanwhile, the regent had restored the Comédie-Italienne: it took the opportunity to occupy the St. Laurent fair for three years, from 1721 to 1723, but it did not meet with the expected success.
The main options for theatre in Paris at the time were the highly refined productions of the Comédie-Française or the "crude and tasteless" performances of the fair theatres.

Paris Opera

Paris OpéraOpéra National de ParisAcadémie Royale de Musique
It was now the turn of the Académie Royale de Musique to tell the competition that it was the unique holder of the right to sing, dance and accompany plays with music in France.

Jean Monnet (director)

Jean Monnet
He was replaced by Pontau, Devienne, Jean Monnet and Charles Simon Favart, who directed the company successively until 1762, when it was reunited with the Comédie-Italienne.
He was the director of the Opéra-Comique at the Foire Saint-Laurent from 1743 to 1745 and from 1751 to 1757.

Fair

funfairfairsfairground
Théâtre de la foire is the collective name given to the theatre put on at the annual fairs at Saint-Germain and Saint-Laurent (and for a time, at Saint-Ovide) in Paris.

Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés

church of Saint-Germain-des-PrésSaint-Germain-des-PrésAbbaye de Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Théâtre de la foire is the collective name given to the theatre put on at the annual fairs at Saint-Germain and Saint-Laurent (and for a time, at Saint-Ovide) in Paris. The fairground itself was established in 1482 by Louis XI for the benefit of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés and was located near the Abbey on the Left Bank southwest of the city center just outside one of the gates of the city wall built by Philip II at the beginning of the 13th century.

Louis XI of France

Louis XIKing Louis XILouis
The fairground itself was established in 1482 by Louis XI for the benefit of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés and was located near the Abbey on the Left Bank southwest of the city center just outside one of the gates of the city wall built by Philip II at the beginning of the 13th century.

Rive Gauche

Left BankLeftLeft Bank of Paris
The fairground itself was established in 1482 by Louis XI for the benefit of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés and was located near the Abbey on the Left Bank southwest of the city center just outside one of the gates of the city wall built by Philip II at the beginning of the 13th century.

Wall of Philip II Augustus

wall of Philippe Augustecity wall built by Philip IIdefensive enclosure all around Paris
The fairground itself was established in 1482 by Louis XI for the benefit of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés and was located near the Abbey on the Left Bank southwest of the city center just outside one of the gates of the city wall built by Philip II at the beginning of the 13th century.

Boulevard Saint-Germain

226 boulevard Saint-GermainBlvd Saint-GermainBoulevard St Germain
The covered Saint-Germain market today occupies part of the former fairground site with access from the Boulevard Saint-Germain via the Rue de Montfaucon

Easter

Easter SundayPaschaEaster Day
The fair generally lasted three to five weeks around Easter.

Palm Sunday

entry into JerusalemPalmChrist's entry into Jerusalem
During the 18th century it consistently opened on 3 February and lasted until Palm Sunday.