Theosophical Society in America

American Theosophical SocietyOther Theosophical societies in the United StatesQuest'' (Theosophical magazine)The QuestTheosophy movement
The Theosophical Society in America (TSA) is a member-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the teaching of Theosophy and affiliated with the international Theosophical Society based in Adyar, Chennai, India.wikipedia
39 Related Articles

Theosophy

theosophisttheosophicalTheosophists
The Theosophical Society in America (TSA) is a member-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the teaching of Theosophy and affiliated with the international Theosophical Society based in Adyar, Chennai, India. After its two major co-founders departed for India in 1879 to establish the international headquarters of the Society in Adyar, India (near Madras, now known as Chennai), young Mr. Judge carried on the work of advancing interest in Theosophy within the United States.
Following Blavatsky's death in 1891, there was a schism in the Society, with Judge leading the Theosophical Society in America to split from the international organization.

Theosophical Society Adyar

Theosophical SocietyAdyar School of TheosophyAdyar
The Theosophical Society in America (TSA) is a member-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the teaching of Theosophy and affiliated with the international Theosophical Society based in Adyar, Chennai, India.
The US National Section of this organization is called the Theosophical Society in America located in Wheaton, Illinois.

Theosophical Society of New York

Other groups split off from Tingley's organization over the years, becoming Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove) the Theosophical Society of New York, the United Lodge of Theosophists, and Temple of the People in Halcyon, California.
The Theosophical Society of New York was a theosophical organization, that separated in 1899 from the Theosophical Society in America.

Dora Kunz

Dora van GelderDora van Gelder KunzDora
Archival collections include organizational records, and also special collections of papers from Boris de Zirkoff, Mary K. Neff, Fritz and Dora Kunz, and others.
Dora Kunz née Theodora Sophia van Gelder (April 28, 1904 – August 25, 1999) was a Dutch-American writer, psychic, alternative healer, occultist and leader in the Theosophical Society in America.

Helena Blavatsky

Madame BlavatskyHelena Petrovna BlavatskyBlavatsky
Russian expatriate Helena Blavatsky and American Colonel Henry Steel Olcott founded the Theosophical Society with attorney William Quan Judge and others in late 1875 in New York City.

Henry Steel Olcott

Buddhist Theosophical SocietyHenry OlcottColonel Henry Steel Olcott
Russian expatriate Helena Blavatsky and American Colonel Henry Steel Olcott founded the Theosophical Society with attorney William Quan Judge and others in late 1875 in New York City. In 1932, the headquarters estate came to be known as "Olcott", in honor of co-founder Colonel Henry Steel Olcott.

Theosophical Society

TheosophicalThe Theosophical SocietyTheosophy
Russian expatriate Helena Blavatsky and American Colonel Henry Steel Olcott founded the Theosophical Society with attorney William Quan Judge and others in late 1875 in New York City.

William Quan Judge

W.Q. JudgeJudgeW. Q. Judge
Russian expatriate Helena Blavatsky and American Colonel Henry Steel Olcott founded the Theosophical Society with attorney William Quan Judge and others in late 1875 in New York City. Madame Blavatsky died in 1891, leaving Colonel Olcott and English social activist Annie Besant as the principal leaders of the international movement based in Adyar, and William Quan Judge heading the American Section.

Adyar, Chennai

AdyarAdayarAdyar, India
After its two major co-founders departed for India in 1879 to establish the international headquarters of the Society in Adyar, India (near Madras, now known as Chennai), young Mr. Judge carried on the work of advancing interest in Theosophy within the United States.

Chennai

MadrasChennai, IndiaRoyapettah
The Theosophical Society in America (TSA) is a member-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the teaching of Theosophy and affiliated with the international Theosophical Society based in Adyar, Chennai, India. After its two major co-founders departed for India in 1879 to establish the international headquarters of the Society in Adyar, India (near Madras, now known as Chennai), young Mr. Judge carried on the work of advancing interest in Theosophy within the United States.

Annie Besant

Annie BeasantDr. Annie BesantAnnie Wood Besant
Madame Blavatsky died in 1891, leaving Colonel Olcott and English social activist Annie Besant as the principal leaders of the international movement based in Adyar, and William Quan Judge heading the American Section. Extensive lecture tours by Annie Besant and Constance Wachtmeister elicited much new interest in the American Theosophical Society, so that by 1900 the organization claimed 1286 members and 71 branches.

Katherine Tingley

After Judge's death the following year, Katherine Tingley stepped into the leadership of that organization, and in 1898 folded the Theosophical Society in America into the Universal Brotherhood, resulting in the Universal Brotherhood and Theosophical Society.

Theosophical Society Pasadena

Theosophical SocietyTheosophistAmerican Section of the Theosophical Society
After several changes in location and name, the successor organization is now known as the Theosophical Society Pasadena.

Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove)

Hargrove" branchhis own rival grouprival group
Other groups split off from Tingley's organization over the years, becoming Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove) the Theosophical Society of New York, the United Lodge of Theosophists, and Temple of the People in Halcyon, California.

United Lodge of Theosophists

Theosophist lodge
Other groups split off from Tingley's organization over the years, becoming Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove) the Theosophical Society of New York, the United Lodge of Theosophists, and Temple of the People in Halcyon, California.

Halcyon, California

HalcyonTemple of the PeopleThe Temple of the People
Other groups split off from Tingley's organization over the years, becoming Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove) the Theosophical Society of New York, the United Lodge of Theosophists, and Temple of the People in Halcyon, California.

Constance Wachtmeister

Countess Wachmeister
Extensive lecture tours by Annie Besant and Constance Wachtmeister elicited much new interest in the American Theosophical Society, so that by 1900 the organization claimed 1286 members and 71 branches.

Pond and Pond

Pond & PondAllen Bartlit PondPond & Pond, Martin & Lloyd
At the recommendation of Theosophist and architect Claude Fayette Bragdon, the Chicago architectural firm of Pond & Pond, Martin & Lloyd was engaged to design the headquarters building.

Olcott Estate

Olcott
In 1932, the headquarters estate came to be known as "Olcott", in honor of co-founder Colonel Henry Steel Olcott.

Qigong

Qi GongChi KungChi Gong
Classes have included Hatha yoga, qigong, Therapeutic touch, and many forms of meditation.

Meditation

meditativemeditatemeditating
Classes have included Hatha yoga, qigong, Therapeutic touch, and many forms of meditation.

14th Dalai Lama

Dalai LamaTenzin Gyatsothe Dalai Lama
Some notable speakers at national programs have included the 14th Dalai Lama, Bede Griffiths, Lama Anagarika Govinda, Ram Dass, Stephan A. Hoeller, Huston Smith, Rupert Sheldrake, Ian Stevenson, Fritjof Capra, Amit Goswami, Ravi Ravindra, and Jean Houston.

DuPage County, Illinois

DuPage CountyDuPageDu Page County
The Theosophical Society in America in Wheaton, the North American headquarters of the Theosophical Society Adyar, provides lectures and classes on theosophy, meditation, yoga, Eastern and New Age spirituality.

Ojai, California

OjaiOjai ValleyOjai, CA
Most of the colony later moved north to Ojai, California, while the headquarters returned to Chicago in 1920.
The housing development was built in the style of French architecture of Normandy in the 1960s and 1970s by members of the Theosophy movement adjacent to the Krotona Institute of Theosophy.