Relatively hard chalk outcropping in the middle of the Lower Chalk in the Chiltern Hills in Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire, England.- Totternhoe Stone
20 related topics
Church of England cathedral in St Albans, England.
Sections demanding worked stone used Lincolnshire limestone (Barnack stone) from Verulamium; later worked stones include Totternhoe freestone from Bedfordshire, Purbeck marble, and different limestones (Ancaster, Chilmark, Clipsham, etc.).
Lithostratigraphic unit (a certain number of rock strata) which contains the Upper Cretaceous limestone succession in southern and eastern England.
In the central Chilterns the two parts are separated by the hard Totternhoe Stone, which forms a prominent scarp in some places.
Village and civil parish in the Manshead hundred of the county of Bedfordshire, England.
Behind the knoll is a large chalk quarry producing Totternhoe Stone and modern lime kilns.
13.1 hectare Site of Special Scientific Interest in Totternhoe in Bedfordshire.
Part of the site was formerly a quarry where Totternhoe Stone, a strong type of chalk that was used in Westminster Abbey, was mined.
13.4 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Totternhoe in Bedfordshire.
The site is a disused medieval quarry for Totternhoe stone, a durable chalk which was used for buildings including Westminster Abbey.
Geological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Totternhoe in Bedfordshire, England.
The site displays the base of the Totternhoe Stone.
Small village and civil parish in Bedfordshire.
The medieval All Saints' Church, built of Totternhoe stone, stands in a prominent position on the hillside, and can be seen from a distance when floodlit at night.
Oldest church in Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire, England, although the date of its origins is unknown.
St. Helen's is built of flint rubble, or Totternhoe clunch, with flint facings and limestone dressings.
Village and civil parish in Hertfordshire, England, near the borders of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire in the Bulbourne valley close to Ashridge Park.
The church was restored in 1866–1867 by W. Browning, who removed two Romanesque arches from the north arcade of the nave and dressed the exterior in flint rubble masonry and totternhoe Stone.
Village and civil parish about 4 mi north of Brackley in West Northamptonshire, England.
Woburn is 31 mi away and most of its stone was supplied by nearer quarries at Ketton and Totternhoe.