Upnor

Arethusa Venture Centre, with figure-head, Lower Upnor.
The Older London Stone standing in front of the fence of the Arethusa Venture Centre.
A Thames Barge sails past the depot: Upnor Castle (left), 'B' Magazine (centre), No. 5 Shell Store (right).
RE assault boat training at Upper Upnor
Former 'B' Magazine (1857) undergoing refurbishment.
Former Dry Guncotton Store (right, 1895)
Left to right: former No 3 Shell Store (1883), Mine Testing Room (1905) and Wet Guncotton Store (1895)
Left to right: Main entrance, former Filled Mine Store (1904), former Filled Shell Store (1904)

Lower Upnor and Upper Upnor are two small villages in Medway, Kent, England.

- Upnor
Arethusa Venture Centre, with figure-head, Lower Upnor.

15 related topics

Alpha

Portrait by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger, 1591

Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake (c.

Sir Francis Drake (c.

Portrait by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger, 1591
Portrait miniature by Nicholas Hilliard, 1581, reverse of "Drake Jewel", inscribed Aetatis suae 42, An(n)o D(omi)ni 1581 ("42 years of his age, 1581 AD")
A map of Drake's route around the world. The northern limit of Drake's exploration of the Pacific coast of North America is still in dispute. Drake's Bay is south of Cape Mendocino.
A replica of the Golden Hind at Bankside in London
Drake's landing in California, engraving published 1590 by Theodor de Bry
Drake viewing treasure taken from a Spanish ship, print courtesy New York Public Library
The "Drake Jewel" as painted by Gheeraerts the Younger in a 1591 portrait of Drake
Buckland Abbey in Devon
Map of Drake's Great Expedition in 1585 by Giovanni Battista Boazio
Drake's burial at sea off Portobello. Bronze plaque by Joseph Boehm, 1883, base of Drake statue, Tavistock.
Arms of Sir Francis Drake: Sable, a fess wavy between two pole-stars Arctic and Antarctic argent
Arms of Drake of Ash: Argent, a wyvern wings displayed and tail nowed gules.<ref name="Vivian 1895, p.292">Vivian, Lt.Col. J.L., (Ed.) The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564 & 1620, Exeter, 1895, p. 292, pedigree of Drake of Ash</ref> The Drake family of Crowndale and Buckland Abbey used the same arms but the tail of the wyvern is not nowed (knotted)<ref name="Vivian p.299">Vivian, p.299, pedigree of Drake of Crowndale and Buckland Abbey</ref>
Sir Francis Drake with his new heraldic achievement, with motto: Sic Parvis Magna, translated literally: "Thus great things from small things (come)". The hand out of the clouds is labelled Auxilio Divino, or "With Divine Help"<ref name=NationalTrust>{{cite web |url=http://www.nationaltrustimages.org.uk/image/169478 |title=Image details |publisher=National Trust Images |access-date=25 October 2012 |archive-date=3 September 2012 |archive-url=https://archive.today/20120903192626/http://www.nationaltrustimages.org.uk/image/169478 |url-status=live }}</ref>
Sir Francis Drake whilst playing bowls on Plymouth Hoe is informed of the approach of the Spanish Armada. Bronze plaque by Joseph Boehm, 1883, base of Drake statue, Tavistock
Eighteenth century portrait of the Spanish Armada by Philip James de Loutherbourg
Drake taking the surrender of Admiral Pedro de Valdés on the Spanish galleon Nuestra Señora del Rosario
This portrait, circa 1581, may have been copied from Hilliard's [[:Image:Sfdrake42.jpg|miniature]]—note the similar shirt—and the somewhat oddly-proportioned body, added by an artist who did not have access to Drake. National Portrait Gallery, London.
Bronze statue in Tavistock, in the parish of which he was born, by Joseph Boehm, 1883.
Drake Jewel, on loan at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London

He was ordained deacon and was made vicar of Upnor Church on the Medway.

Three-masted barque (US Revenue Cutter Salmon P. Chase, 1878–1907)

Peking (ship)

Steel-hulled four-masted barque.

Steel-hulled four-masted barque.

Three-masted barque (US Revenue Cutter Salmon P. Chase, 1878–1907)

In July 1933, she was moved to a new permanent mooring off Upnor on the River Medway, where she served as a children's home and training school.

Preserved Arethusa figurehead in Upnor on the River Medway

HMS Arethusa (1849)

50-gun fourth-rate sailing frigate of the Royal Navy, was launched in 1849 from the Pembroke Dockyard and served in the Crimean War.

50-gun fourth-rate sailing frigate of the Royal Navy, was launched in 1849 from the Pembroke Dockyard and served in the Crimean War.

Preserved Arethusa figurehead in Upnor on the River Medway
HMS St George and Arethusa on the Hamoaze near Bull Point in 1860, by Edward Snell (engineer)
Arethusa at the Bombardment of Odessa by the English and French Steam Squadron in 1854
An invite from Mrs Norton Disney to watch trainees from the Arethusa and learn about the training ship

In 1933 the wooden frigate was no longer viable, and was replaced by the steel-hulled ship Peking, which was moored at Upnor on the Medway, and renamed Arethusa.

Straight-tusked elephant

Extinct species of elephant that inhabited Europe and Western Asia during the Middle and Late Pleistocene (781,000&ndash;30,000 years before present).

Extinct species of elephant that inhabited Europe and Western Asia during the Middle and Late Pleistocene (781,000&ndash;30,000 years before present).

Complete skeleton in Rome.
Life restoration
Skeleton in Naturkunde Museum, Berlin
Illustration from 1916
Full-size reconstruction in the Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon
Replica of a P. antiquus on the edge of the Elm forest at Schöningen
Models

Two sites were found in the Lower Thames basin, one at Upnor, Kent and one at Aveley, Essex.

The London or 'Crow' Stone at Chalkwell, Southend, which formerly marked the seaward limit of the authority of the City of London.

London Stone (riparian)

Name given to a number of boundary stones that stand beside the rivers Thames and Medway, which formerly marked the limits of jurisdiction of the City of London.

Name given to a number of boundary stones that stand beside the rivers Thames and Medway, which formerly marked the limits of jurisdiction of the City of London.

The London or 'Crow' Stone at Chalkwell, Southend, which formerly marked the seaward limit of the authority of the City of London.
Plaque on the Crow Stone, Chalkwell
London Stone, Staines-upon-Thames
London Stone, Yantlet Creek
The original Crow Stone from 1775, removed in 1837. It now stands in front of Prittlewell Priory in Southend-on-Sea, a few miles inland from its original location
London Stones, Lower Upnor, Kent

Two London Stones stand at, between the Arethusa Venture Centre and the River Medway in Lower Upnor, Kent.