Walter Liberty Vernon

Colonel VernonW. L. VernonColonel Walter Liberty Vernon
Colonel Walter Liberty Vernon (11 August 1846 – 17 January 1914) was an English architect who migrated to Australia and pursued his career as an architect in Sydney, New South Wales.wikipedia
207 Related Articles

Art Gallery of New South Wales

National Art Gallery of New South WalesArt Gallery of NSWAGNSW
Notable examples were the Art Gallery of New South Wales, the Mitchell Library (part of the State Library), Central railway station and Newcastle Court House.
In 1895, the new Colonial Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon (1846–1914), was given the assignment to design the new permanent gallery and two picture galleries were opened in 1897 and a further two in 1899.

Howard Joseland

Joseland
He retired as New South Wales Government Architect in 1911 and returned to private practice, establishing a partnership with Howard Joseland.
In Sydney, Joseland met Walter Liberty Vernon, another English architect who had migrated to Australia for health reasons.

Pyrmont, New South Wales

PyrmontPyrmont, SydneyDarling Island
Examples of the latter were his fire stations in The Avenue, Randwick; Darlinghurst Road, Darlinghurst; and Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont.
Pyrmont Fire Station in Pyrmont Street was designed by the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon, in 1907.

Jenolan Caves House

Examples of the former were his fire station in St Johns Road, Glebe, Jenolan Caves House in the Blue Mountains and the Public School, Military Road, Mosman.
The building was designed in the Government Architect's Branch of the New South Wales Public Works Department, under the supervision of Colonel Walter Liberty Vernon (1846–1914).

Central railway station, Sydney

CentralSydneySydney Central
Notable examples were the Art Gallery of New South Wales, the Mitchell Library (part of the State Library), Central railway station and Newcastle Court House.
Central station was designed by the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon.

Armidale Post Office

Vernon also designed significant additions to existing buildings, such as Customs House in Circular Quay; Randwick Police Station; the Chief Secretary's Building, Sydney; Balranald Post Office; Armidale Post Office; and the former Premier's Office, Sydney.
It was designed by NSW Colonial Architect's Office under James Barnet and Walter Liberty Vernon (facade alterations) and built in 1880 by W. Seabrook and J. T. Brown.

Admiralty House, Sydney

Admiralty HouseFort Kirribilli
This large Victorian Regency and Italianate sandstone manor, completed in stages based on designs by James Barnet and Walter Liberty Vernon, occupies the tip of Kirribilli Point.

Darlinghurst, New South Wales

DarlinghurstDarlinghurst, SydneyDarlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales
Examples of the latter were his fire stations in The Avenue, Randwick; Darlinghurst Road, Darlinghurst; and Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont.
It was designed in 1910 by Walter Liberty Vernon (Jahn, 1997).

Broken Hill Post Office

Walter Liberty Vernon designed a telegraph office addition in 1900.

ASN Co building

Completed in 1885 and built in the Pre-Federation Anglo Dutch style under the direction of William Wardell and his associate, Walter Liberty Vernon, the building served as the principal offices and warehouse for the Australasian Steam Navigation Company until the company's merger in 1887, when the Government of New South Wales acquired the land used for ordinance facilities and later as government administration offices.

Newcastle Court House

court house building
Notable examples were the Art Gallery of New South Wales, the Mitchell Library (part of the State Library), Central railway station and Newcastle Court House.
The Newcastle Court House was designed by the Colonial Architect, James Barnet, and construction was supervised by his successor, Walter Liberty Vernon.

New Zealand Parliament Buildings

Parliament BuildingsParliament HouseParliament
In 1911, Vernon judged the competition entries for Parliament House in Wellington, New Zealand, after the original buildings were destroyed in a 1907 fire.
The winning design, by Government Architect John Campbell, was selected by Colonel Vernon, former Government Architect for New South Wales.

St James' Church, Sydney

St James' ChurchSt JamesSt James', King Street
Following the amputation of a leg, Vernon died of septicaemia and gangrene on 17 January 1914 in Darlinghurst and his "impressive funeral" at St James' Church, Sydney on 19 January was attended by "a large and representative gathering of mourners".
The church was "packed to the doors" when the seventh rector, W.F. Wentworth-Sheilds, officiated at the "impressive funeral" of Walter Liberty Vernon in 1914.

Burwood Post Office

Burwood Post Office (former)
It was designed by Walter Liberty Vernon and George Oakeshott (assistant draughtsman) and built by New South Wales Works Branch.

Surry Hills, New South Wales

Surry HillsSurry Hills, SydneySurry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales
In a stylistic departure, he designed the (former) police station in Bourke Street, Surry Hills, in the Romanesque style.
Former Police Station, 703 Bourke Street (designed by Walter Liberty Vernon)

Chief Secretary's building

Colonial Secretary's building
The ornate five-storey public building was designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet and built in two stages, the first stages being levels one to four completed between 1873 and 1881, with Walter Liberty Vernon completing the second stage between 1894 and 1896 when the mansard at level five and the dome were added.

Johnson's Building, The Rocks

Johnson's Building
It was designed by Walter Liberty Vernon and built in 1912.

Casino Post Office

The construction of new post offices continued throughout the 1890s Depression years under the leadership of Walter Liberty Vernon, who retained office from 1890 to 1911.

Customs House, Sydney

Customs HouseOld Customs House in Sydney
Vernon also designed significant additions to existing buildings, such as Customs House in Circular Quay; Randwick Police Station; the Chief Secretary's Building, Sydney; Balranald Post Office; Armidale Post Office; and the former Premier's Office, Sydney.
The Customs House embodies the work of three successive and individually distinguished government architects: Mortimer Lewis, James Barnet and Walter Liberty Vernon.

Lidcombe Hospital Precinct

Lidcombe Hospital
It was designed by James Barnet, Walter Liberty Vernon, Cobden Parkes and Ken Woolley and built from 1885 by the Government of New South Wales.

Glen Innes Post and Telegraph Office

Glen Innes Post Office
It was designed by NSW Government Architect's Office under Walter Liberty Vernon.

State Library of New South Wales

Mitchell LibraryState LibraryState Library of NSW
The State Library of New South Wales building was designed by Walter Liberty Vernon, assisted by H. C. L. Anderson and was built from 1905 to 1910, with further additions by Howie Bros in 1939; by FWC Powell & Sons in 1959; and by Mellocco Bros in 1964.

Central Local Court House, Sydney

Central Local Court HouseCentral Police Court
Constructed in the Federation Free Classical style based on original designs by Colonial Architect, James Barnet, the building structure was completed in 1892 under the supervision of Barnet's successor, Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon.